Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

Insuring your guns and gear

Recently a good friend of mine had his travel trailer stolen along with a lot of camping/ outdoor gear he had stored in the trailer while his trailer was in storage. After hearing about the red tape and countless ordeals that he had to go through with his insurance company, it made me question how good my insurance policy was. After talking with my insurance company today about coverage, I learned that my policy has good coverage for items that are lost to fire, flood, etc. However, items lost to theft are a much different story. My policy will only pay up to $2000 for stolen items. Now I'm sure that if anyone else who hunts were to start adding up the expense to replace your guns and gear, you could easily reach that 2k point in no time. Heck, that may not even cover a pair of Swarovski EL's. Needless to say, I am now in the process of looking into different insurance companies that hopefully will have a more suitable policy for me. I hope that I never have to deal with my gear being stolen, but I see posts on here from time to time about that sort of thing happening to other people, so I'd like to have a little more protection just in case. I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this sort of thing before? What kind of policies are out there to give you more protection against theft? I'm not very knowledgeable about insurance and my current agent wasn't much help either, so if anybody has some advice on this subject I would be glad to hear it. Thanks in advance.

I know that I had to get an extra rider policy, because mine had limits, and my stuff was worth a lot more.

As far as guns go, our policy only covers $2500. Luckily our agent is a redneck girl and let me know that in advance. I was able to purchase addl. coverage for guns (and gun accessories) that covers $50000 for about 100 extra a year. As far as auto coverage I don't know?

Just about all policies have limitations on guns, jewelry, cash, ect. This is MINUS your deductible too.....so that means the loss has to exceed whatever that is.

If you care about that custom rifle, keep the bill of receipt & schedule it on your policy for a little extra premium.

Also keep in mind if you file a claim on your stolen items you'll probably see a rate increase on your policy next renewal.

Many years ago, I used to pay extra to insure my guns.

Then I purchased a good gun safe, and canceled the insurance.

Over the last 25 years, the savings on insurance has paid for the safe several times over.

I'm not against insurance, but believe in looking at what it costs and making an informed decision.

Some of the guns in that safe wouldn't value much on an insurance claim, but they are priceless to me.

• Like 2

After the thieves got in and took all of my guns, jewelry, coin collection,ect. the insurance company canceled me. You're in good hands with allstate, oh heck yeah. I got about 10 cents on the dollar.

you get what you pay for, we shopped insurance for many things and ended up using a broker, he shopped us around and helped us document all our belongings on video, they gave us discounts for security cams and gun safe and even safe deposit box. any time we buy items of value we video it and send it to him, we have backed up copy as well as them. costs more but worth it not to have someone in india tell you your mauser gun is 100 bucks when the scope was 600.00 all reciepts are scanned and backed up on hard drive in safe. ins is a nessesary evil but its a scam as well.

Thank you for posting this. I have had nothing but bad experiences with insurance companies. They are quick to collect your money but when it comes time for them to pay out......well...only word to describe it is nightmare! Recently my parents house was broken into. They kicked in the front door in the middle of the day then pulled their car into the garage and loaded tons of stuff into their vehicle. All of my moms jewelry was stolen. Come to find out days later...their insurance policy won't cover the jewelry, which were the most expensive goods taken. People please read the fine print and ask questions when purchasing insurance policies! Don't let the same thing happen to you! Make sure your homeowners insurance covers guns, jewelry, etc. and purchase extra coverage if needed! I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. Get a dog! Preferably a big dog! My parents had a wiener dog and it didn't work out very well for them. The scumbags locked it in a closet! Even when the alarm goes off a thief knows they still have a small amount of time to grab what they can and go. If there's a good size dog in the house (especially certain breeds) they know there could be instant repercussions for entering the house.

i am sorry but if you as a company have so much disposable income you can throw sponsor money at countless sporting events , put blimps in the air full time and then tell average joe you wont pay then you are a scam and crook.

i had the same crap many times, i made a claim after 8 years and got a check and cancel letter in the same mail cycle. what a joke, then i had to pay more to the next guy since i had a claim in the past. f ing crooks. i got smashed in a 1969 fully mint ss 396 elcamino and the ins said 1200 for the truck. well after 3 months i got 9000.00 but it was a full time job fighting them. wasnt even my fault, out of state work truck rear ended me.

i could go on and on from the time i was 18 there are stories. farmers said they wouldnt ins my house with a flat roof, yet it has a 3 ft pitch with parapits blocking the view of them, ins guy sent a pic and said nope flat. ok im done

You guy's are right and pretty much all correct. I say all of the above. Get a good safe, get a rider on your insurance, video, photos, records of purchases and serial numbers from everything that has them. Like Anaconda said, the best insurance in the world won't replace the sentimental value that some of us have on jewelery and other items.

Sounds like an insurance rider is something I'll need to be look in to. From what I've gathered about riders, they're basically an add on to your existing policy to insure additional items. Is there anything special about a rider that I should be asking an insurance company about? And yeah, as some have mentioned insurance isn't always what it's cracked up to be, but I guess it's a little better than getting nothing back if you don't have insurance. Thanks for the input guys.

Liberty gun safe, now sells a chip, that can notify your cell phone if the temp in your safe changes suddenly......hmmmm......

The whole gun safe thing bothers me some. I have a fire proof safe that I keep every one of my "good" guns and optics in. However it started to occur to me that if there is a fire, do I really want it? I would maybe be better to get a rider on al my gear and have them pay out then to have them say that my swaros are still ok because they were in a safe, but do I really want to be using swaros that were cooked to 900 degrees? I realize it may keep them from physically starting on fire, but they may well still be wrecked?