BMart

Non-Res 6% Cap for BH Sheep, Ibex, Oryx

I just read through the entire 2014-2015 regulations book and can't find my answer. Now that BH Sheep, Oryx and Ibex fall under the 84% Resident/ 10% Outfitter/ 6% Non-Resident regulation how many tags does a hunt have to have before a non-res can draw a tag?

I've always put in for deer/antelope/elk hunts that had at least 20 tags available so I knew at least 1 was available to me as a non-resident.

I don't believe there are any big horn sheep hunts with 20 tags so can I ever draw?

Not clear, right now. This from jamaro:

Per the quota statute that was the result of SB196. It's pretty straightforward that the quota applies per hunt code and that if the quota percentage yields a fraction of .5 or greater the number of licenses rounds up to the next whole number, less than .5 the number of licenses rounds down to the next whole number. By that, there would need to be a minimum of 5 tags in a hunt code for there to be an outfitter tag. There would need to be 9 tags in a hunt code for there to be a nonresident tag. The only hunt code that has enough tags for a nonres or outfitter tag is Latirs ewe hunt.
The only way around it would to be to put all the sheep tags in one hunt code (or groups of hunt codes to get above the 5 or 9 tags required to "generate" a nonres and/or outfitter tag) and then assign specific hunts to applicants that draw. It might take legislation to create special rules for sheep quotas for the resident/nonresident/outfitter tags.

Interesting... and I am not sure we are going to get around it.

Not clear, right now. This from jamaro:

Per the quota statute that was the result of SB196. It's pretty straightforward that the quota applies per hunt code and that if the quota percentage yields a fraction of .5 or greater the number of licenses rounds up to the next whole number, less than .5 the number of licenses rounds down to the next whole number. By that, there would need to be a minimum of 5 tags in a hunt code for there to be an outfitter tag. There would need to be 9 tags in a hunt code for there to be a nonresident tag. The only hunt code that has enough tags for a nonres or outfitter tag is Latirs ewe hunt.

The only way around it would to be to put all the sheep tags in one hunt code (or groups of hunt codes to get above the 5 or 9 tags required to "generate" a nonres and/or outfitter tag) and then assign specific hunts to applicants that draw. It might take legislation to create special rules for sheep quotas for the resident/nonresident/outfitter tags.

Interesting... and I am not sure we are going to get around it.

Good post, thank you. I wasn't sure if they rounded up or not. Like I said before, I apply where the 6% is at least 1 full tag so I never actually needed to know if they rounded up.

From what I have been reading they came up with this or are enforcing this after everybody applied already recently. If that is true, that is bad business imo.

That looks to be true, there were quite a few applicants on Bowsite.com that were pretty upset they changed the rule after the deadline. They really need to make sure non-residents get 100% of their application fee back if the 6% is per hunt number since that would mean they applied with a chance to draw and now have 0% chance.

I didn't have the money this year to apply for sheep but was trying to come up with $5k so I could apply for all the species in the coming years.

It doesn't give an option to put in under an outfitter for ibex and sheep if I remember right, not sure how they're gonna allocate that 10% of the tags if there are no peoe that applied under an outfitter. All around this is total BS

I have a call in with the Dept and we talked several times yesterday... They are required to enforce the quota because the injunction was lifted. How they are going to hand the NR or OF pool is still being worked out. BUT there is precedent and they are looking at it. There are several antelope units with 1,5 10 tags.. I suspect they will try to use that model.

I will let you know what I find out when I find out...

J-

I have a call in with the Dept and we talked several times yesterday... They are required to enforce the quota because the injunction was lifted. How they are going to hand the NR or OF pool is still being worked out. BUT there is precedent and they are looking at it. There are several antelope units with 1,5 10 tags.. I suspect they will try to use that model.

I will let you know what I find out when I find out...

J-

Awesome, Thank you.

Hey Guys...

The Dept did the right thing... You can see the details on my website but if you want to put in make sure you fix your app.

I am hearing that NR will get two tags.. one for Latir and one for Wheeler...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, MARCH 26 2014:

APPLICANTS FOR BIGHORN SHEEP, ORYX AND IBEX HUNTING LICENSES ELIGIBLE FOR FULL REFUNDS

SANTA FE – Hunters who applied for bighorn sheep, oryx or ibex licenses for the 2014-15 seasons and are unsuccessful in the drawings will be eligible for full refunds of application fees and license fees, the Department of Game and Fish announced Wednesday.

Application fees normally are nonrefundable whether a license applicant is successful or not. This year’s departure from that practice is in response to Monday’s ruling in U.S. District Court that vacated a 1977 injunction that prohibited the Department from applying preferential quotas that benefitted state residents in drawings for bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex licenses. The injunction allowed nonresidents to enjoy the same odds as residents when applying for those species.

Because of Monday’s ruling, the Department will begin applying the same quotas this year to bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex applications as it applies to deer, elk, pronghorn antelope and Barbary sheep. According to those quotas, 84 percent of licenses are allocated to New Mexico residents, 6 percent are allocated to nonresidents, and 10 percent are allocated to applicants – residents and nonresidents – who use New Mexico outfitters.

Applicants for bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex who choose not to participate in the new quota system must delete their applications by April 18. Applications can be deleted through online accounts or by telephone toll-free, (888) 248-6866.

“The Department determined that it will be most equitable to refund the normally nonrefundable application fees to applicants who are unsuccessful or who choose to withdraw their application due to changes resulting from the recent court decision, and to comply immediately with state law,” Department General Counsel Allison Marks said.

Because the option to apply with outfitters was not offered on this year’s application forms, hunters who would like to designate a valid outfitter will be able to do so and join the 10 percent license allocation pool. To add a New Mexico outfitter to an application, the applicant will be required to call the Department and provide the application number, customer identification number and the outfitter number no later than April 18.

The court ruling prompted the Department to delay this year’s drawing by approximately one week. Drawing results will be available no later than April 30.

For more information about the drawing, refunds and the application process, please call the Department toll-free, (888) 248-6866.

Just saw on another site that there will be NO bighorn sheep hunts this year. You can apparently call the number at the end of Tony's post and cancel your application or find out more about exactly what NM DGF is going to do. Presumably there will be a follow-up email from NM DGF shortly.

I was told that they were trying to figure out how to make 6% go into hunt codes with less than 9 tags (all the ram hunts). I think we need to know.

My next question is I understand that everyone can have a full refund if they pull the application out now, but will that refund not come until the bulk of them do? At the end of May? May as well stay in the draw...

NR continue, especially the DIY'ers, to get screwed in NM. The last trophy hunt in NM is now not avaiable to NR even though you were able to apply this year. Maybe a ewe hunt, yeahhh! Between the crazy amount of unit wide landowner elk tags, 6% NR tags and the cost it is no longer worth applying in NM for me. Glad I switched my NM hunt money to WY last year. I use to love to camp and hunt in 23 and 15 but not the same anymore.