apache12

$200 trail cam suggestions?

New to trail cams. Also relatively new to bow hunting. So without pulling an elk tag for myself or my jr boys. My goal this summer is to spend it finding a deer and watching it all summer by glass and cam with the hopes a first deer bow harvest

Any suggestion on newbie trail cam? I read reviews and it's like smelling perfume at Christmas shopping for my wife. After a few whiff's they all seem the same.

Like to spend $200 heck like to spend $2 but $200 seems average. If for some reason another $50 or $75 makes a huge difference I'm willing to make the jump

Thanks

Buy two coverts or bushnells at $120 instead of one at 200$ or look for a Simmons whitetail on sale and buy three of them . The three I mentioned are all very reliable and take good pictures. Even the Simmons. I know I've used them all and the coverts are probably my favorite, although dollar for dollar the Simmons may be better if you can get them on sale. With the chance of theft or damage from a bear or elk, there's no need to buy a $200 camera unless you just don't trust the cheapies.

Do you want quality photos? Or just photos that give you a good idea of what the animal is? If your goal is the second.... I would personally look around for the right deal and try to get as many cameras for your money as possible. For lower budget stuff I have had good luck with wild game innovations. You might be able to find a deal that let's you get four cameras for that $200. When running a lot of cams, batteries and cards can add up $ quick as well.

• Like 1

Great info thanks. Quantity not quality. Kinda like my beer choice. Perfect

Walmart has the tasco for $50. Only problem is you can't set picture per minute so you end up with LOTS of pictures. But you get 4 for the $200 instead of 1. Don't hurt as much when they get stolen either.

Here are three for $190.

www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/47706-fs-3-trail-cams-used-in-good-condition/

I kind of wonder if the kind of hunters who steal Trail Cams, carry lock cutters in their pack. I guess the bearbox would help keep the average joe stumbling onto them.

Apache, I just bought two Moultrie 990i 's for $135 with Free Shipping off Ebay. They are more pricey but they have the NO Flash feature, takes pics with IR. Still just learning how to use them, but the video seems decent.

Ditto on what the guys before said

- If you don't care about quality, just want to KNOW what's out there go cheaper

The box with with a cable and lock is recommended. The best theft prevention I've found is to get em up high in the tree if possible and camo/brush em in.

image-6.jpg

• Like 1

I have tried many, many cams. There are some nice ones out there. There are also some duds. If you get a dud, expect some frustrations.

After years of experimenting, I've come to the same conclusion with cameras that I have with optics. Buy once, cry once.

With that said, buy Reconyx and never look back.

IMO, they are the best on the market and their customer service is terrific if you ever need to use it for updates, questions, or whatever.

Good luck with whatever you choose.