muley224

Anyone know these 3 hunters

Tony:

Steve also was involved with the opening of Mearn's quail to hunting. A longtime game commissioner from Tucson, Jack Mantle, was opposed to hunting what he (and many others) called "fool's quail," and would gather support on the commission and vote down every proposal to open a season.

One of Mantle's complaints was that there weren't enough birds to hunt and they were so dumb that they could be quickly "wiped out." Steve, and the Levy brothers, did extensive surveys and found plenty of birds everywhere there was suitable habitat.

Mantle eventually allowed approval of an experimental season, and then went out and personally attempted to prove his prediction. He once bragged to me that he had taken at least a dozen limits that year.

Incidentally, Arizona's hunters who are enraptured with restrictive permit-only, unit-by-unit deer hunting with multiple seasons can thank the late Mr. Mantle. Despite opposition from various sportsmen's groups at the time, he led the charge on the commission for today's system.

Bill Quimby

Tony and Bill ,thanks for Your words on here. Allways enjoy hearing older stories and stuff from You Guys. .......BOB!

• Like 1

Don't think Wes is in the photo. Any chance of improving the quality of the photograph. It's really flat and washed out.

Incidentally, those bucks could have come from anywhere north of the Gila. There was a time when big bucks were regularly coming off Mingus Mountain, the White Mountains, the San Carlos Reservation, the Mogollon Rim country, and other places in addition to the Strip and the Kaibab.

That was pre-1970, back when 90,000 to 100,000 hunters were buying their deer tags at hardware stores and hunting anywhere they wanted in a single three-week deer season.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Thanks. I don't recognize any of the three guys, but the way each of them turned up the bottom of their jeans to make cuffs is something lots of us did in the mid-1950s.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Steve Gallizioli is my father, and I am pleased to find so many people still talking about him and his work in Arizona wildlife. He is still alive at 90 and living in Glendale, AZ, but he is not in this picture.

Laura Gallizioli Young

• Like 6

Bill, why is it after all these years of protecting and reintroducing the Masked Bob White on the Buenes Aires NWR, there are none?

Just curious because I've going down there for 20+ years and have never seen one.

• Like 1

Neat thread, Somebody's gotta know one of them.......BOB!

I am Steve Gallizioli’s youngest daughter Mary ann and I can tell you that none of these three gentlemen is my dad.

Unfortunately dad has passed away now so I can’t ask him if he knows who they are.