Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Is 20 gauge 3" enough?

I have an old Savage .22 over 20 gauge, 3" chamber, full choke I'd like to use for my turkey hunt next month. Just wondering if it is adequate to drop a bird at 30 - 40 yards. What shot is recommended? I am considering the Magnum Blend or Heavy Shot. It patterned well at 30 yards using 2 3/4" bird shot at 30 yards, so I think it will work. I've killed two turkeys at 30 and 40 yards with my old 870, modified choke, 2 3/4" chamber....so I'd like to use this recently aquired Savage.

Thanks

No reason why it shouldn't. Just make sure and shoot those ranges ahead of time and check the pattern. 40 yards may be pushing the limits of the 20 gauge 3" shell. I prefer 20 yards and under if using a 20 gauge, but that is just personal preference.

Jeff

• Like 1

Patterning is the key and will tell you the limits of your gun and shot. I would defiantly try a magnum load as they tend to pattern tighter. 30 to 35 I would think would be reasonable but 40 might be pushing it.

Yes, with work and patterning. Here is my Pavo Pounder 20 ga. recipe

870 youth-21" barrel-SSX choke-Fed. HW 7's

Got 167 & 176 in the 10" @ 40 yards.

Best of all, I get to put the 20 back in action, gonna love packing the 20 around.

post-1816-0-78939900-1396624636.jpg

post-1816-0-72915800-1396624653.jpg

post-1816-0-72915800-1396624653.jpg

post-1816-0-88335800-1396624670.jpg

Patterning is the key and will tell you the limits of your gun and shot. I would defiantly try a magnum load as they tend to pattern tighter. 30 to 35 I would think would be reasonable but 40 might be pushing it.

Thanks for all the replies. I feel more confident in using the 20 gauge. Will definitely pattern it. I think I'll start with the less expensive ammo first instead of jumping right into the Magnum Blend at $25 per 5 shells. #6 shot?

LC Calls - I was in Sportsmans the other night during your turkey seminar. I wanted to talk to you when it was over but had to scoot early.

#6 shot?

Yes. If you are using the heavier shot I would use 6's or even 7's like elpepe suggested. They say the weight is similar to one size up in regular lead. 6's would have the power of 5's and 7's the power of 6's. The advantage is a lot more shot down range and on target. Currently there is a $20 mail in rebate when you buy 2 boxes of hevi shot good until June 30th.

https://www.hevishot.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=222:2014-hevi-shotr-turkey-rebate&catid=16:rebates&Itemid=65

20 gauge with Federal Premium 3" Mag #5 has worked very well for my boys from a youth 870 pump. They have not lost any of the birds they shot at with that setup.

Some of the reports I've read on the Hevi- Shot magnum blend in 20 ga have comparable results to a standard (non-Hevi-Shot) 12 ga out to 50 yards. My daughter is going to use that load this year. Her shotgun is patterned and sighted in at 25 yards, but if a bird hangs up at 40, I wouldn't hesitate to have her drop the hammer!

• Like 1

An interesting side note, I get better patterns out of my 20 ga with Federal Heavy weight 7's than I do with any lead 6's out of my 12 gauge at 40 yards. I know I am comparing lead 6's to HW 7's but my 20 ga is a more reliable killer with hw 7's than my 12 ga with lead 6's, and I get a lighter, easier carrying, lighter recoiling, more effective turkey gun.

• Like 1

Can your shotgun safely handle a 3-inch shotshell? It was my understanding that the older Savage .22/20-gauge guns were only chambered for 2 1/2 inch shotshells.

Bill Quimby

It has 3" on the barrel

Your good for 3", that's what I would use!

Viper, here you go! Now lets see what that savage can do.

turkeytarget1.pdf

Viper, here you go! Now lets see what that savage can do.

Cool! Thanks! I will put this to use...maybe this weekend. I'll post the results.