Sign in to follow this  
AZ Ground Pounders

Phil's April Tom

Phil came up to hunt lions with the AZ Ground Pounders Outfitters. On the second day of the hunt the Ground Pounders struck a track and ended up treeing the big Tom. Phil made a great shot and killed the Tom. Congrats to Phil on his Tom.

Phil+3.jpg

Phil+1.jpg

Phil+2.jpg

Phil's son Matthew took a lion with the Ground Pounders last March and Clay Goldman at Mogollon Taxidermy just finished the full body mount. Great work!!!

Matt+Lion.jpg

View the full article

• Like 1

Awesome Phil, you've spent lots of time chasing them things! and rode many miles, so happy for ya that the time spent finally paid off for you. congrats on an awesome cat.

I like my dad spent a total of 11 days on 3 different trips. Some times you have the luck and sometimes you don't. The first 10 days were with a good friend of mine (after hunting with him for 10 days on horseback, to add he is a true cowboy in his daily life and trails don't mean to much to him, I think he really thinks there is no place a horse can't go, I got thrown from a new horse "he" was trying out. Luckily TomGobbler just stood there and let me use his body as a cushion from all the rock's, by the time the last trip and the 10th day came around I felt like I could finally show a horse I knew what I was doing and me being a farmer and have driven about every piece of machinery made, Every time he would do something cool and look at me I would say I bet you couldn't drive an 8400 series John Deere pulling an old school land plane, I would choose a different machine each time, I would tell him I am a farmer, I need a clutch and turning brakes and this thing doesn't have any give me a break) and we were chasing lions everyday. We just could not catch any of them.

AZ Ground Pounders had mine treed the first morning I hunted on foot with them. Awesome thanks guys. I had Clay at Mogollon mount it and I told him I don,t want it to have the open mouth but I also didn't want the 3/4 asleep lion with a sway back and back leg and tail hanging way off the side of the tree limb or rock but I did want it to look like it was laying on a point with some wood and rocks and look aware like it just saw a deer or heard the first bawl from one of the dogs. he hit it out of the park like usual. Thanks again Clay. Congrats dad to a well deserved lion.

post-539-0-29772400-1397426659_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-94916500-1397426725_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-08245600-1397426757_thumb.jpg

On the wall where it will be for a long time. Thanks to my wife for letting me put it in the dining room. It is looking at you right as you walk into the house.

At first when I saw "April Tom" in the thread title I thought it was going to be a turkey! LOL! Great mtn lion, congratulations!

I thought the same Amanda. Congratulations to Phil and the Az Ground Pounders. That's an awesome cat.

Matthewp45....You got one of the best mounts I've ever seen. Completely different from all the rest. Something you might see if you glassed it up. Good choice. :)

It was a great hunt. Thank you Cash and Steele for a hunt I will always remember. Your dad, Jeff and Hoot all worked hard, too, and it was great spending time hunting with them. You have a great team and outstanding dogs.

To anyone wanting to hunt a lion, these boys are terrific. I recommend you call them.

Phil

• Like 1

they hunt at the pase of the hunter as levi would say

The Ground Pounders team seems to always get it done wit BIG toms! Nice job everyone. I hope to hook up with you for one of these someday.

Heck of a lion!