lancetkenyon

11 Year Old's Quest For Her First Elk

So my brother comes over on Sunday with a gift to Taylor. He made a DVD of her hunt using a lot of photos I took over the course of the summer, and some videos and photos he took while on the hunt.

It contains some great memories, some photos that nearly brought a tear to my eyes, some great music, and some comic relief in the form of "twerking".

I am uploading them to Youtube as we speak. Part 1 is done, part 2 is almost complete. It is about 22 minutes total length, but it is broken down into two videos. Shows a lot of prep that went into the hunt, and some LR shooting as well.

I'll post them up in just a few minutes.

So my sister-in-law does not like game meat. She has tried it on two occasions (both times elk from other people), and vowed never to touch it again....until....

20141227_112732_zps5dvnmua9.jpg

I had tmy brother and sister-in-law over for lunch this weekend. Busted out some elk back strap steaks. Marinated them in olive oil, water, white vinegar, and Montreal Steak seasoning. Then wrapped in bacon and grilled. She also does not like even a hint of pink in her meat, so I cooked hers until medium well and the rest to medium rare/medium.

I also sautéed sweet onions with olive oil and a touch of brown sugar, mushrooms in butter with fresh garlic, baked potatoes, and corn on the cob on the grill slathered in butter/salt/pepper/a touch of brown sugar then wrapped back in the corn leaves.

She ate the entire steak before I told her what it was. She did not believe me. Not a hint of game taste in this elk. Best elk I have ever tasted as well. She asked to be invited back over next time we make elk steaks.

Got up for a drink of water and sat down to cwt for just a minute. Wow, I never saw this tread before and read thru it all. Awesome job dad of recording this all from the start to the finish. You did your home work well and a big congratulations to your daughter. :)

TJ

WOW! Kinda glad I missed this till now. I got to read the whole thing without having to wait for updates. What an incredible thread. Way to document the whole journey. You sure put the effort in to get that beautiful Bull. Taylor did an incredible job preparing for this hunt too. Congrats to you both. You brother did a great job on that video as well. Good payment for the Butt whoopin he took in the shooting match. Great job by all.

Nice GSP's by the way.