Sign in to follow this  
Half

6B Navajo archery pronghorn.

First off I just want to thank the lord for all of his help in my life and for letting me hunt his terrific creations.

I drew a camp navajo pronhorn tag and to be honest I didint think it would happen. I am just wondering if there is anyone who is familiar with this hunt and can give me a few pointers? I have heard I wont get much time to scout so any tips would be awesome. It is a archery only tag and I do have a clearence for the restricted area. Thank you.

Half

Congrats on drawing your tag. Good to see your excited about it!

I've hunted the depot a lot. I wouldn't say an archery antelope tag on the Depot would be tops on my list for an antelope tag, But there are some there, just be ready to work long, hard and smart.

They don't always stay on the Depot when pressured so be mindful of that when decoying and stalking. But don't give up on one just cause it runs off, there aren't usually many to choose from so don't loose em.

I would concentrate on finding some "Choke Points" or "Funnels" first. The area they are in is full of great choke points. Some are made up of narrow meadows between pine trees and small hills. When those antelope travel from meadow to meadow through the pines they prefer the same routes so watch for their trails and scrape lines.

When you see a buck, know he is not there randomly! Try to figure out why he is there and where he came from and where he is going! Get out and walk his backtrail and make an effort to find patterns and trails.

There are also really good fence crossings!!!! Fence crossings are some of the best! And I've also seen them funneling between other man made structures and buildings on the Depot.

There is usually lots of water everywhere that time of year so setting a water hole can be pretty worthless. Some times its best to find where they are watering in a puddle in the road and determine if its random or if there is a pattern to it.

Get out and scout as much as you can!

Take lots of pictures! Make sure you have an archery deer tag!

Good luck! Hope some of that helps. Looking forward to seeing those pictures!

Lance

• Like 1

Thanks! Lance. Considering I drew the tag on a wim, never even tried to draw a goat tag before I feel pretty good about it. I will take lots of picks for sure. Thanks again! I got a november cow tag too. From what I have seen the few times I have been there its not a real hard hunt.

half congrats on your tag. I have hunted the depo for over 12 years and drew the antelope tag twice in which I was very lucky to fill both tags. as lance said the antelope are very hit and miss on the depo. last year there were only 2 bucks on there to hunt after the season closed there were close to 14 different bucks. if you would like to chat and I can give you some pointers I am more then happy to help you out just PM me with your number.

• Like 1

you guys are so helpfull what a great hunting community we have here. good luck