Sign in to follow this  
cardawg

Help with a new setup

I am also a lefty. I have a custom built on a 700 action, but you are going to pay for something like that. Savage has some great starter guns that you can build on according to your budget. My new left handed Savage looks like it will shoot under or right at a minute of angle right out of the box.

My brother has a lefty Tikka t3 that is a tac driver.

Start with a savage or Remington action once you determine what caliber you want to use. You could buy the whole rifle and just customize it as you go and put more money in your optics. A custom action is going to run $700 to over $1,000 on its own so that probably wont work. The other option is determining what you want and buying a used gun, for $2K you can get a really nice rig. A lot of guys are always building something new so you can get a rifle with very little use for a steal.

I just took a quick look and there are some nice lefty rifles on LRH that people are selling in your price range. Like this one:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/left-hand-custom-6-5-06-extras-114160/

Start with a savage or Remington action once you determine what caliber you want to use. You could buy the whole rifle and just customize it as you go and put more money in your optics. A custom action is going to run $700 to over $1,000 on its own so that probably wont work. The other option is determining what you want and buying a used gun, for $2K you can get a really nice rig. A lot of guys are always building something new so you can get a rifle with very little use for a steal.

+1 this is a great way to go with that kind of a budget. You can pick up one ready to go and you don't have to wait on a gunsmith. If you don't like the result you can make affordable changes down the road since all the pieces are already there.

Thanks for all the input everybody,one more question,are there any draw backs or safety issues shooting a right hand rifle,left handed ? Cabelas has the Remington 700 long range rifles on sale for 700.00,26 inch barrel with a bell and Carlson stock,seems like a lot of bang for the buck

No I have a family member and a friend I hunt with every year that shoot both rifles. Seems like a lot of lefty's shoot right handed because of how they learn. There are competition/varmint rifles that eject out of the opposite side, usually a single shot though. Now I would not try that with any type of semi auto but for a bolt gun no big deal if the stock is a straight stock. May have a small issue if the cheek piece does not allow good alignment.

As for the remmy on sale you can usually duplicate the sale prices with a small amount of effort. I would keep checking on line, take a look at the forums, auctions, Bear Mountain, and buds gun shop. Locally most of the dealers are pretty helpful, Bear Mountain will order anything you like and keep it very competitive just tell them what you are seeing for comp and they will let you know how close they can get or if they can meet the price. All of this is not much work to get a proper fitting gun to build a rig that you will have the rest of your life.