Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector777

2 Unit 27 tags filled! My wife's first big game animal. .

My wife and I along with our friend Brett were drawn for the early unit 27 turkey hunts that started Friday. Opening morning we had to gobblers located and moved in on them but before we got set up we spooked some hens and that was the end of that setup. Around 7 AM we located another bird and surpisingly everything worked out and I had my bird. Not the biggest but I was happy with him. He had an 8 inch beard. Saturday we hunted hard but as soon as the turkeys hit the ground they shut up and never made another peep. We weren't even able to locate one in its roost later that day. Saturday evening my friend Brett arrived and we headed out early Sunday morning. We located about 6 toms gobbling like crazy right at light. We got set up and sadly when they flew down they headed the other direction. Once again they stopped gobbling as soon as they hit the ground. We headed back to camp for the day and around 4 we headed up to where the turkey had been earlier that day. We sat close to where we thought they should be headed and at about 6:45 We finally heard a gobble fairly close. As they got closer and closer we noticed there were multiple birds headed our way. I called to them and they answered but they didn't seem interested in coming towards us. They messed around at about 90 yards for five minutes and I knew we had about ten minutes left of light to make it happen so we got up slowly and stalked into about 40 yards using trees to keep between us. I had my wife sit down and get a good rest and told her to pick any of them that had a red head. After about ten seconds she shot and I could hear the gobbler flopping around so I ran up to make sure he wasn't gonna get away. Ashley had killed her first big game animal on the first shot! She was very excited but didn't like the rule that the shooter had to carry the turkey back to the truck! So I let it slide this time. . Pics aren't the best because we got back to the truck after dark but her bird had three beards! I only noticed two while taking pictures but while skinning it I saw he had three. The biggest was 10 inches and the other two were 4 inches and 3 inches. Bigger than any turkey I have ever killed!

post-8945-0-65107900-1398707856_thumb.jpg

post-8945-0-97326400-1398707878_thumb.jpg

post-8945-0-20289600-1398707919_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome...I'll be in 27 for the late tag. Hopefully still some gobbling by then. Congrats to your wife on an awesome first kill!

Is that a triple bearded turkey I see??? You Lucky son of a gun!!! Flat out awesome!!!!

Great job

• Like 2

Congrats! That triple bearded Tom is awesome!

Way to go when your wife hunts she understand why we do the crazy things that we do

• Like 1

Congratulations to your wife on an excellent TURKEY!!! Thanks for sharing the pics and story!! Good thing your wife didn't have to carry the bird! It looked bigger than she is!! That's being a considerate husband!!

• Like 1

I have never ever thought about turkey hunting, but your story makes me think I should grab an OTC archery tag, just in case! Nice job!

• Like 1