Sign in to follow this  
rcgcu

Colorado Over the counter Elk Hunt... Considering a trip this fall

Have any of you tried the Colorado Over the counter elk hunt? I am considering organizing a trip this fall. (After not getting drawn for elk again, starting to get frustrated) any suggestions? I am looking at the 2nd or 3rd season rifle hunts. I have read quite a few articles on the hunt that basically say there are alot of hunters, but not many willing to venture off the beaten path... any tips or anyone with experience with this hunt??

I got drawn for a late rifle cow hunt, before the draw results came out I was looking into Colorado hunts. They have a great website, their elk university is well worth a look. From what I can tell the price is reasonable and the opportunities there for those willing to go the extra mile. If you go I'd very much like to read your feedback. Best of luck.

i am headed up for archery, rifle hunts i am too chicken about the weather, to get pounded with snow would not be fun imo. i see all acounts for otc there are alot of hunters, i am going to run mules and backpack so maybe i can glass with some elbow room

During the 2nd through 3rd seasons you will be hunting mostly 10,000 ft. and up in elevation. Maybe as low 9,000 ft. unless you are on private property.Most of the bulls are rag horns, and a 260 bull is a must shoot on sight during the OTC hunts. Which unit are you planning a hunt for?

In 1997 I took a pack trip hunt into the Weminuche area of the San Juans. I got a bad case of Giardia from unboiled river water used in camp. The outfitter had just bought the operation from Dirk and Colt Ross who died in a plane crash while flying over the area. This hunt was a complete disaster because the guides where idiots, and didn't know the area.

It has been quite awhile since I have done a hunt in Colorado. In 1998 I hunted the first rifle season in October, up in the breaks off the Grand Mesa. It was a "do it yourself trespass hunt. I took a 5x5 Bull, and missed an opportunity on a huge Muley.

IN 2000, I hunted general rifle north of Dove Creek up in the Oakbrush/Aspen terrain. It was a complete zoo, with lots of hunters. I missed a steep shot at a nice muley, and buggered a bull out of an aspen grove, but couldn't get a clear shot.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt unit 70. The High country up in Lizards head pass is all great elk country. It does take some effort to get in, and away from the crowds. Some of the breaks along the river will hold animals after the hunters push them into some of the rougher areas.

Snapshot... Awesome advice sounds like you have had some great experience up in colorado... Do you know off hand, can you still hunt Muley and elk on the same trip at the same time? That would definitely make the trip more exciting...

If you are interested in a guided hunt or drop camp option let me know. Have availability in two different units outside of steamboat and fort Collins

Ranger, thanks for the offer pal, taking this on more as a DIY hunt. Meeting with a group of other guys that are all doing the same. I know the odds arent the best, but it should be a fun hunt regardless..

Absolutely rcgcu!! Colorado is a great beautiful state and you will have a wonderful trip. Keep us posted on the area your going to and how it all turns out! Good luck

We tried it, west of Grand Junction.....the elk were there but left the country, the crowds stuck around. 4 of us, never saw an elk.

I went East of Durango last year. We got into a heard of elk the day before the opener. We made the mistake of trying to get closer and set up camp. Right after daylight on opening morning it sounded like world war III while a group of hunters lobbed shots from where we originally spotted them. We never saw another elk the rest of the trip, but there was no shortage of hunters. It was still nice scenery and a good time. Our original plan was to hike into an inaccessible area but we got snowed out. If I were to hunt that unit again I would definitely try to hunt a healthy distance away from roads.