Guest oneshot

Morels/Ginsing in AZ???

I miss hunting morels/ginsing, are they anywhere in Arizona???

(I know there are the "magic mushrooms" on Mt. Lemon..(mis-spent youth)

here is a site I came across if you haven't found it yet.

http://www.tanelorn.us/data/mycology/myc_index.htm

I have seen tons of diff mushrooms around the hannegan meadows area during the Aug/Sept archery deer hunt in wet years.

James

Well I was doing a Google search on when and where to find morels and wouldn't ya know a cwt thread popped up. Looks like an old post of oneshots.

Since this thread is pretty old are there any savvy mushroom hunters here? Looking forward to monsoon season to go look for some edibles but was looking for any insight on spring morels in the sky islands.  

What’s easier to find, morels or sheds? I don’t like shed hunting. But i was thinking of looking for some morels. I read burns are a good place to look? 

20 minutes ago, idgaf said:

North kaibab

The new burn up there would probably be a primo spot

15 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

What’s easier to find, morels or sheds? I don’t like shed hunting. But i was thinking of looking for some morels. I read burns are a good place to look? 

Supposedly the year after a fire is best.  With all the moisture this past winter it should be a good year.   I just don't wanna drive hella far being inexperienced on it.  Think I might join the AZ mushroom society. Only $15.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

The new burn up there would probably be a primo spot

During my bison mushroom pickers were everywhere

• Like 1

10 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Everyone must of got the newsletter email from meateater recently.

Nah, had a buddy text me a picture of one he found and I just went down the rabbit hole after that. My oldest boy that's not so much into hunting likes mushrooms so at least I got his interest on something outdoors!

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Nah, had a buddy text me a picture of one he found and I just went down the rabbit hole after that. My oldest boy that's not so much into hunting likes mushrooms so at least I got his interest on something outdoors!

Anything to get them out. I’ve found them in 27 before. I’ve found what I think are edibles around us but I’m not experienced enough to trust eating them.

• Like 1

Its time to get out there!. About 7000' should get some primo stuff!

Took a practice run tonight up in Miller canyon.  Just couldn't get enough elevation for the good ones, only found non edibles. Looks like we are going up top the mountain the next few days.

8 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Its time to get out there!. About 7000' should get some primo stuff!

Took a practice run tonight up in Miller canyon.  Just couldn't get enough elevation for the good ones, only found non edibles. Looks like we are going up top the mountain the next few days.

Garlic shrimp morel pasta!!! Second time this week!!!

76155CCB-0848-4997-9EFE-B0A93B5F2121.jpeg

11 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Garlic shrimp morel pasta!!! Second time this week!!!

76155CCB-0848-4997-9EFE-B0A93B5F2121.jpeg

Ive yet to taste one. Cant wait though.  Im really interested in finding some of the lobster claw mushrooms this weekend. They supposedly actually taste like seafood.  I'm wanting momma to find a killer lobster bisque recipe to put some in .  

Did you find some and then dehydrate them or what?