Sign in to follow this  
macknnc

Wondering if this is possible...

Now, understand..I'm a Easterner, keep that in mind...but here in NC, using a predator call, I've twice called in bobcat and dispatched them...once a .22 the other time a 12 ga with #4 shot...and a mountain lion is merely a bigger bobcat when you boil it all down...and I've read of it being done..(somewhere)

so has anyone here called in a mountain lion? Any one tried it and had the cat show up laughing calliing out 'you've got to be kidding me, man." Any reason it can't be done?

Guys call in lion in AZ every year.. not easy but yes it can be done. It has been my goal for several years now to call one in and so far I've done good with bobcat/fox/coyote but still no lion. Although one time I was set up on a sidewall of a steep canyon with my FoxPro going 20 yards downhill from me and I called in what I believe to be a lion... she semi-circled about 50 or 60 yards above me letting out lion vocalizations (Obvious lion sounds... have the same lion sounds on my caller) She let out 3 different loud screech barks each about 2 min. apart... then she was gone. I thought for sure the cat would come down the hill into the call. I was set up in real thick stuff and was ready for that cat to pop out but she either winded me or was just too smart. Exciting regardless. My quest continues.

However I found if you want to get a lion just go out and hunt something else..haha. I had a lion come up to 8ft behind me while sitting perfectly still, jeans and white tshirt, sitting indian style on a knob glassing for deer. I heard a noise behind me and turned around to find a good size lion standing there just staring at me wondering what I was. I completely flipped out, binos/tri pod fall over, hat flies off my head. Lion gets just as scared and runs off to my left downhill into tall grass and trees. I actually had my rifle with and grabbed it, jacked a bullet, and when I pulled up to get the lion in my scope my dang scope covers were on. I ripped them covers off and the cat was gone. If I wouldn't have had the scope covers on I believe I would've gotten a shot. It was intense and by far the scariest moment in my entire life. We called in some dogs but never did catch up to it. The hair on my neck still stands up when I think about how that could've turned out for me...

• Like 4

I've had it happen calling coyotes, had a tag and missed the shot. It haunts me still. This was out near Superior.

Mark Healy of sponsor Healy Arms in Mesa has spent a large amount of time calling for lions with electronic callers. he and some of his buddies have been successful at it.

http://www.healyarms.com/predator-zone/electronic-calls.html

Here is are a couple old threads about one of them calling in a lion after the hunt regulations were changed to allow calling at night.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/29835-the-first-mountain-lion-called-in-and-killed-under-azs-new-night-hunting-regs/

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/41102-dave-martens-calls-another-big-az-tom-guess-its-weight-win/

My buddy killed a lion on our turkey hunt this year. He called it into 7 yards. A 3 inch number 5 did the trick.

My buddy killed a lion on our turkey hunt this year. He called it into 7 yards. A 3 inch number 5 did the trick.

We are going to need some pics of that. :)

I don't know about killing a mountain lion with a 22, but i did see a lowered monte carlo roll over a big cat on the 300 road once and it had 22 inch rims. Kitty didn't even move a step after the impact. Huge group of people pulled over to see the big tom laying there, some were crying over the deal, i was the only one with a grin from ear to ear.

• Like 10

Called in half a dozen. Electronic call in thick bushy rocky mountainous country.

lion_bitches_zpsc0db11f7.jpg

That's awesome. I'd be happy to just see one in the wild. I'd probably have a heart attack if I actually downed one

Guest 300ultramag.

I hand called a lion almost a decade ago... He Came in by the 3rd series of raspy rabbit.... buddy who was above me about 8 yds and 20yds to my left stands up and says can I shoot! And i whisperd what is it... He says I don't know... It's not a deer... I i snuck up over to his overlook and saw a lion 80yds. working down a finger...I was in awe!!!!!! I did not plan on seeing a lion where we were at and I couldn't belive my first lion sighting I have a shotgun and a hand gun and he's 80yds out... I gave my buddy the green light to send it.... He was carrying am iron sight Mauser... The lion slowly slipped out... Never even ran off just walked off..

Called in half a dozen. Electronic call in thick bushy rocky mountainous country.

lion_bitches_zpsc0db11f7.jpg

So freakin awesome!!!!

It can be done I was out scouting for deer last aug for the archery season and glassed up a lion chasin a deer over a hill across from me. I made a three quarter mile loop called for thirty min and she showed up 40 yards below me. I was using a fawn distress on an open Reed call. Dropped her dead in her tracks. Merely two months later me and a buddy went on the oct bear hunt first stand in the mornin 30 sec into the stand a lion barreled over the hill in front of me.. I moved out of the way and my buddy had his first lion.. This was used with the same fawn distress sound and both were in 2013.