Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

Spring Bear

I was able to fill my first bear tag over the weekend. He's not a big bear, but I couldn't be happier with him. My son Dillon was in the blind with me and got to see me take the shot. I got great advice and help from several people, met new friends and got to hang out with some new friends and old. I hung 4 cameras on water sources, but the bear activity was slim to none as the temps weren't where they neeed to be yet for good bear action on water (for me anyway). I brought all the meat home and cleaned it really good. My wife Colleen took it from there and processed into several cuts, put some through the grinder and also made chorizo. We're real happy with the bear meat and I'll be chasing bears again soon I hope. I definitely got lucky and it just boiled down to getting out there. I like to tell my sons, "you can't kill em from the couch"

I hit em with a 2.3" two blade rage and he made it about 15 yards and expired immediately.

Good luck to the guys still hoping to send an arrow through one, I certainly hope the forest stays open long enough for you guys to fill those tags!

post-754-0-09394800-1401335166_thumb.jpg

My lucky charm, my son D!

post-754-0-54363700-1401335212_thumb.jpg

post-754-0-46184400-1401335280_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Awesome bear!! What a great experience to share with your son. Bear hunting is hard enough but I have never even seen one during a spring hunt. Hats off!

That's totally cool! Huge congrats getting one with a bow! Extra nice that you had your son with you to share the experience.

Bear has a little bit of color to it! Sweet job! What unit? Sow or boar? What time was the "shot"? Are you going to rug the bear?

HUGE congrats! That is a beautiful bear in my book any day!!

You got your self a nice bear! Congrats.

Congratulations Justin. That bear has a real pretty color. It will make a great mount. It was awesome that Dillon got to be there with you. I personally think the hat has something to do with it. lol :)

TJ