Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

Spring Bear

Awesome Bear! Plus your son got to witness you taking the shot, which makes it even better. Great memory that y'all will share for life.

Kidso,

Bear was a boar, he came in right about 6pm. I really haven't decided what do yet as far as possibly getting him mounted. When I capped him out, I was a little disappointed in how many spots seemed really thin on hair density. He looked amazing when I was preparing for the shot, but there were a lot of thinned out spots and bad spots which I assumed were from rubbing on trees.

Still, I'm definitely pumped and couldn't be happier. Thank you to the people who offered up advice and to lend a hand, I gained quite a bit of knowledge from this tag and I will build on that in the future.

Kidso,

Bear was a boar, he came in right about 6pm. I really haven't decided what do yet as far as possibly getting him mounted. When I capped him out, I was a little disappointed in how many spots seemed really thin on hair density. He looked amazing when I was preparing for the shot, but there were a lot of thinned out spots and bad spots which I assumed were from rubbing on trees.

Still, I'm definitely pumped and couldn't be happier. Thank you to the people who offered up advice and to lend a hand, I gained quite a bit of knowledge from this tag and I will build on that in the future.

Some taxidermists will dye the hide a little bit so help those bald spots blend. Still a great trophy!

Congrats on a great first bear. Trying to get a Arizona bear myself. Awesome that your son was there. Ready2hunt is right. They do dye the skin to hide the rubs and summer coat. One of my brown bears was rubbed pretty bad but the taxidermist was able to hide it pretty well. When I do finally get one myself, I plan on letting Jerry do a half body mount standing on a log or a rock.

Brent

That's really cool that your son got to share in the experience with you and a huge congratulations to you on a dang nice bear!

Excellent bear and a great experience for your son I'm sure. Thanks for sharing.

Did the arrow pass through?

Justin,

With the heat and the hike, how did the meat/hide fair?

Excellent job, again! Ill be in my stand on Tuesday sweating my huevos off!

Casey better bring an extra huevo into his stand and tag out on a cinnamon onTuesday!

The stand I'll be hunting isn't much of a hike, but none the less I think I'll lose a gallon or more of water in sweat!

Lots of things in my favor in my situation, but I can see the potential for problems in this heat. The bear expired immediately within view of the blind. We tried to take pics quickly and then I immediately started cutting. Since I shot him in the evening, it was cooling off nicely and we laid meat on a rock in the shade as we pieced him out. I did the gutless method which I thought worked great and kept the mess down. The pack out took about an hour and a half. I brought two big ice chests to camp with us. Grabbed those and hauled butt into town. Mc D's saved the day, we made it there just before close and purchased 10 bags of ice to chill the meat. We got back to camp after 12 and slept in the next day to celebrate a job well done. I would be very nervous to shoot one in the morning as far in as we were. We might have had a different outcome with just my son and I racing the clock with temps rising instead of falling. Hoping your taking pics with your bear as I write this!

• Like 1

Lots of things in my favor in my situation, but I can see the potential for problems in this heat. The bear expired immediately within view of the blind. We tried to take pics quickly and then I immediately started cutting. Since I shot him in the evening, it was cooling off nicely and we laid meat on a rock in the shade as we pieced him out. I did the gutless method which I thought worked great and kept the mess down. The pack out took about an hour and a half. I brought two big ice chests to camp with us. Grabbed those and hauled butt into town. Mc D's saved the day, we made it there just before close and purchased 10 bags of ice to chill the meat. We got back to camp after 12 and slept in the next day to celebrate a job well done. I would be very nervous to shoot one in the morning as far in as we were. We might have had a different outcome with just my son and I racing the clock with temps rising instead of falling. Hoping your taking pics with your bear as I write this!

Awesome!!!! :)

TJ