Sign in to follow this  
Bab

Hogs - There Goes the Neighborhood

Just a couple of pictures for the off-season.

This may be mis-categorized although some of my neighbors would disagree if you said these hogs aren't predators. Ranch land, farm fields, the garden at the old-folks home, dogs, cars, have all fallen victim to these hogs...

I've spent the past 3 months trying to kill these hogs and then they went and had piglets on me. There goes the neighborhood.

Thinking about trying to trap them.

Bab

post-12435-0-26763900-1401835937_thumb.jpg

post-12435-0-55291600-1401835949_thumb.jpg

post-12435-0-74668100-1401835961_thumb.jpg

very few hog-huggers hereabouts. handgun, bow, rifle, class 3, pygmy death pit, whatever just get it done before they git here. we got enough trouble with rampaging wapiti.

luck,

lee

ps. do you need a good fajitas carnitas recipe?

• Like 1

I would have tried 2 options

1- motion sensor so red lights came on when they got near the feeder to shoot them

2- illuminate he feeder area and or use night vision scope on my crossbow or gun and set in a nearby blind or stand and then shot them

good luck with your new pests

I would love to help out your problem. They are on my bucket list for sure. :)

Welcome to the site and I look forward to seeing more pictures from you.

TJ

• Like 3

The feeder could be part of your hog problem :blink:

Your avatar kicks butt. haha. That first hog has antlers! Choot'm.

• Like 1

I am from the Texas Hill country and what I have seen done is if you can trap the sow while the little ones are still feeding on her tits they will stay with her and you can take them all out all at once . this has worked for some people i know of quite well good luck with getting them.

Hey, thanks for the comments. I would love a carnitas recipe BigLakeJake. I get a lot of crap for not being able to kill these things, but I tell you they're smart and tough. I watched one get shot with a 300 weatherby mag at 30 yards, tip over, feet in the air, then get up and run a 1/4 mile, under a fence and over the horizon. I was lucky enough to shoot the hog in the attached picture by chance walking past a tank. The only one in 2 years. I just took its tusks and drug it into the bushes and left it for the vultures. Wish I had a carnitas recipe then.

I will see if I can borrow a trap 125coues. Give that a try. I'll let you know.

Fulch, I live in Boerne but am down in Port "A" on occasion fishing the Light House Lakes.

post-12435-0-18478800-1401889599.jpg

• Like 1

I'd like to help out too! I'll bring my AR-10 and some 20 round mags and a few 120 quart ice chests. Just let me know when and where. That last photo....is a huge hog for sure! Thanks for sharing your "problem".

maybe im wrong but i dont think there would be a wild hog problem if people really tried to get rid of them. i think its because they can make money from hunting them they are still around. thats cool with me but not a problem IMO (except for the people who just want them gone because of damage and dont care about hunting or selling hunts). i dont know thats just the way i see it from here. BTW i would love to get me one someday. i bet they taste great.

maybe im wrong but i dont think there would be a wild hog problem if people really tried to get rid of them. i think its because they can make money from hunting them they are still around. thats cool with me but not a problem IMO (except for the people who just want them gone because of damage and dont care about hunting or selling hunts). i dont know thats just the way i see it from here. BTW i would love to get me one someday. i bet they taste great.

here are some faq and statistics

http://feralhogs.tamu.edu/frequently-asked-questions-wild-pigs/

James

• Like 2

Port A is nice, I've been out a couple times, no fishing just to check it out, only been in Corpus 8 months now. Try this, all it is is panels and T posts.

I used to live in Corpus as well. And fished the lighthouse lakes once. Great kayak fishing.

Are the pigs not coming to a feeder on a normal basis? All the feeders I used to hunt had a group of pigs that came in around the same time every day. I just put cameras up and figured out there times and sat in the bow stand with a red light and battery. It was a blast and I miss it.

I want to hunt 'em, got friends in Kerrville I can stay with.

Trade ya that for an outfitted archery otc Coues hunt down south. I used to live in Santa Fe, TX