Sign in to follow this  
dsotm

Recommend me a tent

They do alright in the wind. I never use the tie down lines and rely on my gear to hold the tent in place. Havent had it blow away or collapse yet.

Cabelas Outback Lodge.

12x12

Sets up real easy and is synthetic so it's light weight and fast drying.

I've been through a bunch of cheaper tents and finally got the bigger kodiak. For sure a high quality tent and should last a long time. I'm 6'5" and being able to finally stand up in a tent is almost worth the price alone. -Pat

I started hunting out of a camper a long time ago, so most of my camping is either in a camper or a Montana wall tent. That said, it's almost hard to come by a bad tent these days on any budget. If you want a really good tent, the Kodiak are the bridge between cheap tents and more expensive outfitter-style wall tents.

That said, I've spent many nights under cheap tents or nothing at all - and I prefer the latter.

A good canvas wall tent, Cabela's Alaknak, and similar are the top of the line tents, but they are pricey. You can get a good nylon tent - coleman, etc whatever Walmart or Target is selling for under $200, and these tents aren't bad - I've spent a week in a Coleman 8-person Nylon tent in freezing conditions with rain, sleet and snow. They are actually better than most of the old cotton tents I grew up in.

To me, it's a question of what you want to invest in. If it's a season or two, go cheap and light - nylon, easy to set up. If it's a few years and you really want a quality tent, go Kodiak - much higher quality. If you're really going to spend some time out there a good wall tent is as close to a cabin in the woods as you'll find, short of course to a camper.

I have the cabelas west wind and it's been a good tent for the last 5-6 years. It's not as heavy duty as the Alaskan guide but here in AZ it does just fine and it's quite a bit lighter than a canvas tent. I picked mine up in bargain cave for 150.00 , it's the six man. I use it probly 10 times a year and it's held up well. You may need the 8 man if you want queen mattress to fit plus gear. The floor liner for the Alaskan guide fits it perfect too. Might check it out. Bargain cave has some killer deals on tents after holiday weekends. Cabelas outback lodge is a good option too. Kodiaks a great as well just a little heavier and bulkier then Nylon tents.

I just purchased a coleman instant up tent from my buddy. (had to upgrade for more people camping) The one i picked up is a 10x14 8 person. I know thats to huge for you, but even new it runs $240 (amazon). Or i know they have different sizes in the instant up group.

even at the colossal size of 10x14, i can set it up or take it down in about 3 minutes. the thing is pretty sweet. ive had it on two trips this summer and have set i up three times in the yard just for fun i think. ha ha.

• Like 2