Coues assassin

What shotgun to buy?

The most important thing with a shotgun is fit, go to some stores and try swinging some around and see what feels good for you. 3.5s are over rated IMO.

It really is. I wanted a Beretta so bad I could taste it a few years ago but when I closed my eyes and brought it up to my shoulder and tight to my cheek the sight pattern was way off.
That's how I felt swinging a few shotguns before. There were some so great and just seemed right on spec on paper but felt terrible on my shoulder swing :-(

The most important thing with a shotgun is fit, go to some stores and try swinging some around and see what feels good for you. 3.5s are over rated IMO.

It really is. I wanted a Beretta so bad I could taste it a few years ago but when I closed my eyes and brought it up to my shoulder and tight to my cheek the sight pattern was way off.

This.. I would try to shoulder a few and see what fits you best. My buddy has a super nova and it is a great all around shotgun. If you're going to take it duck hunting, get a gun that can take some abuse and still shoot. Camo and semi are nice options but I wouldn't worry too much about that. I kill more ducks with my black 870 pump then my buddies do with their camo semi's sitting right next to me. If it was in the budget then I'd probably shoot one too, but people having been killing ducks/birds long before all these high end guns were around.

• Like 2

I wanted a beretta or binelli and ended up with an SX3 which just seemed a better fit. I shoot pretty well with it and yes I consider it a good all around gun even though I have 3 others. 3.5's are a bit pricey though but you can find smoking deals on used ones if your patient.

Most of your better semi-auto have spacers to help the fit. You can change cast and drop by using these spacers. I've only shot Berettas for the last 20 years and can get them to fit me good. If you are going to shoot 3.5's get a semi-auto. Have you ever shot a 3.5 out of a pump? It's not pretty......

Guest akaspecials

The Remington 870 is your swiss pocket knife of shotguns. You can get any mod you'd ever want for it, you can make it into anything from a bird gun to a home defense gun, and parts are easy to find (especially in a SHTF situation).

I also agree that 3.5s are overrated. If you can't see the eyes of the waterfowl when shoot them, you are shooting too far. No need for anything more than 3s and a good spread and caller to get them in close. Plus if you're in AZ, you will very very very rarely get to shoot at geese.

As for camo vs non camo, every bit of concealment helps in a duck blind, but movement and shiny things (like unpainted faces) are what flare most ducks, I wouldn't worry about camo too much on the gun.

A little Update I got lucky and at the RMEF I won a Browning Xbolt which when I took to sportsmans was informed I could get credit towards a different purchase. So I ended up purchasing the Remington Versamax and just had to pay the difference which fit my budget perfectly! I was going to purchase the Stoeger 3500 until I got lucky!

A little Update I got lucky and at the RMEF I won a Browning Xbolt which when I took to sportsmans was informed I could get credit towards a different purchase. So I ended up purchasing the Remington Versamax and just had to pay the difference which fit my budget perfectly! I was going to purchase the Stoeger 3500 until I got lucky!

sweet, my step mother won the 22/4-10 @ the banquet. My old man was gonna do the same deal as you at SW.

+1 for 3.5s being over rated. 3" turkey loads and steel always patterned better than 3.5" of the same brand in my benelli SBE 2

Coues Assasin that is some good Karma there. Congratulations!

This thread has been interesting and helpul to me. I am in the market for something similar but I have a 1.5 years to decide. I won the Versamax at the 2013 Bowhunter Happening. I bought one $20 ticket and won. So I call the gun a $20 gun. I kept it hidden and never took it out of the the case it came in until recently. My oldest son just turned 18 on July 17th and I gave him the gun as a gift. Now I'm in the market for another shotgun for my son who is currently 16. I would like to give him a semi-auto on his 18th b-day but don't think I will be able to afford a Versamax unless I find another for $20. I have already started setting money aside. I was thinking about the 11-87 until you guys mentioned the Stoeger M3500. We are a Turkey, quail, dove & varmint family. 3.5 inch is nice but not a deal breaker if it is 3". Realistically, I'd say I'm going to be in the $700-$800 range.

Who ever said don't get a 3.5 in a pump is absolutley correct. I have one and had to dropped down to 3". I would literally see stars after shooting 3.5". Ugly sight for sure.

Long story short........ The help is appreciated so keep on with the recommendations.