Sign in to follow this  
EverythingWx

Questions About Hunting Locations/Rules in Arizona

Hey y'all, I am new to Arizona and have grown up hunting whitetails across central and eastern portions of the country. I have never hunted anywhere out west before so I had a couple questions I wanted to ask.

I plan on bow hunting this fall for mule deer or whitetail somewhere in the Flagstaff region. Can I just pull over anywhere on the side of the road and walk from there to wherever I plan on hunting?

From what I have read on the AZ game and fish page, it sounds like you can pretty much hunt anywhere (with a few exceptions here and there). Is this correct, or are there only certain areas within a zone that you can hunt?

Sorry if my questions don't make any sense. I am completely new to this type of hunting, and any information you could provide me would be extremely helpful!

Thanks!

Cory

Pretty much anywhere around flagstaff is open during the general archery season. Yep just pull over and take off. Have fun!

• Like 2

Anywhere that's not posted private property of course is open game. Lots of open range and national forest land across AZ. Just remember to leave a gate how you found it unless there's a sign saying to keep it closed.

• Like 1

And don't tell anyone else about our secret here in AZ... deal?

• Like 3

The regulation book will tell you what units are open (pretty much every unit around Flagstaff is open on the early hunt) and the National Forest maps will give you an idea of what is public and what is private. Plenty of area and a decent amount of deer. Good luck!

• Like 1

Gain some elevation. Find a good vantage point, preferably more open country. Glass with optics on a tripod. Play the wind when its time to stalk. Its a whole different ball game out west. But the tree stand still has a place here if you can locate and pattern game.

• Like 1

You need to stay out of parks and golf courses and be 1/4 mile from any populated structures. Although it would be nice to call the cart girl over to your blind if you get thirsty!

• Like 2

You need to stay out of parks and golf courses and be 1/4 mile from any populated structures. Although it would be nice to call the cart girl over to your blind if you get thirsty!

I hunt more back country anyway, but for some reason I was thinking in my head that it was just fire arms that you couldn't get within 1/4 mile of a populated structure. But is it the same rule for a bow? I couldn't find the regs on it.

I hunt more back country anyway, but for some reason I was thinking in my head that it was just fire arms that you couldn't get within 1/4 mile of a populated structure. But is it the same rule for a bow? I couldn't find the regs on it.

I found it. It looks like you can actually hunt with a bow close to buildings:

17-309 unlawful for a person to

4. Discharge a firearm while taking wildlife within one-fourth mile of an occupied farmhouse or other residence, cabin, lodge or building without permission of the owner or resident.