Sign in to follow this  
singleshot

Beefeater

This lion killed a young heifer on my in laws ranch. My mother in law found the calf partly eaten and set up a couple cameras. 20 minutes after she left he came back. Several adult cows had been scratched up pretty bad possibly defending the calf.

post-958-0-35629300-1405268274_thumb.jpg

Looks like they dont mind cats eating their livestock.I see a high spoT in picture. Could have ran it imo... or called it in to game and fish and sat on it... in maybe eliminate the problem.

I'm sure the rancher took care of the problem cat. Was not the first and wont be the last.

Actually this is the first calf loss in many years. The kill was on private property that borders the Reservation. There is no compensation for any losses by predators other than Mexican wolves, and their shouldn't be. The government hunter for the area was contacted but the ranch is isolated and because of the hot dry weather I doubt if it would have been fruitful to try and run it.

Between the coyotes and buzzards not much is left after a couple of days and the cat moves on.

Looks like a pretty good sized lion to me though.

Breeding for fine, loud cropped out overo's was plenty tough out in the UT backcountry. A few nights after this photo was taken, a lion got this little filly and gorged on her leaving me just a head a four legs from the knee down.

It's been said before and painfully true, nature takes her toll.

post-11051-0-63541600-1405287419_thumb.jpg