wildwoody

rattle snake tanning

i was wondering if any of you nice brothers of the woods may have a good technique on tanning a rattle snake skin. killed a 3 foot 12 button timber rattler in back yard last night already skinned it, in fridge now. thanks for the help

What i do is pin it down on wood and wipe down the inside with a mix of glycerin and alcohol once a day for a week or two

• Like 2

It helps to also keep it in a cool place. I have also used foam (what they use on houses before stucco) and a office stapler. You can get the glycerin at Walmart, CVS, ect.post-5984-0-78897300-1405617790_thumb.jpg

I take it and place a toothpick at 90* about every 1" then roll it up and stick it in a pill bottle or jar with a mix of 5 parts glycerine to 1 part denatured alcohol and let it site for a few days.

Take up less space then tacking it down. I then take it out wipe it off and roll it in an old t-shirt for a few more days to absorb the greasiness of the left over glycerine and then remove any fat that has hardend.

No need for the salt. They are so paper thin it doesn't accomplish anything other than drying them out faster, and possibly making them more brittle.

50/50 mixture of alchohol and glycerine in a jar. Soak for about 4 days take out, place between two boards with rattle hanging out the end, place weight on the boards of a day or two, remove and wipe down with cloth.

You should use Denatured Alchohol from some place like Home Depot, not regular rubbing alchohol. I use a 50/50 mix with the glycerin. If you are not going to get to it tonight you should put in in a zip lock and freeze it till you are ready to work on it. Gently use the edge of a spoon to scrape the fat and meat off the flesh side before putting the mixture on.