Sign in to follow this  
cuttem

Broadheads

I wish AZGFD would make expandable broadheads illegal for elk. stick with a standard, tough broadhead design. slick tricks are great. why shoot something that you cannot be 100% sure will do it's job on a tag that only comes around a few times in your lifetime? you have enough things working against you in the elk woods. you need to eliminate every potential problem that you CAN control. there are a million things that can go wrong that you do not have control over.

The Swhacker head was designed specifically for Elk, the first year it was out, there were 20 hunters chasing elk and 16 elk took the dirt Knapp. 15 of those went less than 100 yards. Here is my bull taken on the second day. He was shot at 30 yards and went less than 60. He lived less than 30 seconds after he was hit.

post-5396-0-17940000-1405666846.jpg

Sorry for pic quality, it is from film camera. Taken in 1994

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It sounds like a lot of you are against the mechanicals for elk. I did a lot of research on Rage and the one thing that keeps coming up, at least when it comes to elk, is the penetration issue. If I were hunting whitetails I would have no concerns with the Rage but I am a not sold on it when it comes to elk. I think my decision may boil down to the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I know a lot of guys that shoot G5 Montecs for elk and have never had a problem, plus I already know that they shoot great with my bow setup.

Fixed or mechanical doesnt really matter. Any of the popular names make quality heads. Find some you like which ever style that may be and shoot them and learn what they do and how they work. Heck I have a 4 arrow quiver on my bow and have been known to have four different broadheads in it.

WhenI find a head that i cant tune well or dont like I save those for Javelina or small game where my shots are close and broadhead damage is inevitable.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It sounds like a lot of you are against the mechanicals for elk. I did a lot of research on Rage and the one thing that keeps coming up, at least when it comes to elk, is the penetration issue. If I were hunting whitetails I would have no concerns with the Rage but I am a not sold on it when it comes to elk. I think my decision may boil down to the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I know a lot of guys that shoot G5 Montecs for elk and have never had a problem, plus I already know that they shoot great with my bow setup.

My outfitter I hired specifically asked me to not shoot montecs.... he's seen allot of elk shot, so I listened to him.

Why are you switching?? Have montec failed you. If they have then it's time to switch. If they work then why switch. Shoot with what you are confident with. Like the previous post... All broadheads will kill with the correct placement. All broadheads will fail with incorrect placement. Just my two cents

Use both try out the GRAVE DIGGER BROADHEADS, they are a fixed and mechanical in one and have done good on coyotes to buffalo. I like the all steel 125 myself

• Like 1

I will be using the 100 grain G5 Montecs.

Why are you thinking of switching?

Shoot whatever flies the best out of your setup.

I have no problems with the Montecs but I have just heard a lot of talk about Rage and have seen the wounds they create. I think I am going to stick with the Montecs because I know they will get the job done and they fly almost identical to my field tips.

My outfitter I hired specifically asked me to not shoot montecs.... he's seen allot of elk shot, so I listened to him.

Why did your outfitter tell you not to use Montecs?

Shot the bull in my avatar with a rage last fall. He was quartering toward me and arrow went in behind the shoulder and exited just in front of the hip, completely passing through at 55 yards? He didn't go 100 yards.

Shot placement is the key.

All broad-heads on the market will kill an elk if shot well.

With that being said, please shoot your broad heads at all different distances regularly before your hunt.

I have a new Hoyt Fackor, I am having trouble broad-head tuning. I don't have a bow press so its hard to tune (yoke, etc) my field tips hit 1 inch to the left of my broad-heads.

I would recommend keeping your practice broadhead in your quiver and shoot it frequently...

I have killed 4 elk with Wac Ems, they obviously work, but I have lost 2 coues with the same broad-head.... the reason, shot placement. i hit one in the ponch and the other high.... more nervous I guess, I stalked one, the other shot over water.

My vote WacEms or Slick Trick...

IMHO they will all work if you get a perfect shot ... but we don't always live in that world.

I choose mech's over fixed all day, every day, because they (generally) fly better and penetrate (as) good. (not all broadheads, fixed OR mech's are created equal, but these rockets/trophy ridge are spot on)

I choose Rocket Steelheads (the old school ones) over all others because they fly "exactly" like my field points with absolutely no need to change anything, and they fly straight through everything I've ever shot with them (= 4bucks and 3bulls).... all the way through..... never a long blood trail.... only short humane kills. Once in a while I shoot one through a few ribs or a shoulder plate and they get bent up a bit and I just throw them away, but they have always held together, and have always led to a short (like everything dead within 25-40 yards) clean death, always!

No sense changing what works perfectly for me and my set-up. I hope to be posting you another dead bull this fall killed with those old mechanical broadheads.... woot woot!

That being said, I feel the rage will do just fine (long proven success rate) so long as they fly good from your bow and set-up.

my 2 cents worth.

Well im going to shoot the best of both worlds for elk this year. The steel force phat head S.O.B. 1" cutting with 3/4" bleeders and little wing blades that flip out upon impact that make it 1.5" cutting on the main blade..... and they fly with my field points out past 100 yards at 308fps....... me like!!!!!!!!

I shoot mechanicals have killed three bulls and a cow with no problems (meat seeker 3 blade 1.5", tekan , and a vortex) But I wouldn't shoot rage unless its the 40 ke version little smaller. To many hunters that don't know better For the set up are to blame for bh failure. ran into a father son last elk season shooting two blade rage out of his 40lb diamond edge IMO that's about 30lb to light .

• Like 1