Sign in to follow this  
zukicrazy

13A RIFLE TAG

LOL......Just giving Eric some crap... I had drawn 13A tag in 2007 and hired Alvey Johnson (one of the best guides in the strip) ending with tag soup. Was a drought year with poor antler growth. Personally, i would not hire a guide again since we mostly drove the roads instead putting my time in like Eric did with his deer....jmho

• Like 2

You don't need a guide. I did it all by myself, scouted for 10 day and hunted for 5 before connecting on a 208 buck. Didn't have any help from anyone for either the scout or hunt and i never huntered the unit. If you know what you are doing and are mentally tough it is doable! Maps!!!!!!! Google earth. Go up there during the archery hunt. You could hang a bunch of cameras but i didnt use one. Just went old school mano y mano. Oh, bring lots of gas!!!!!

My family had 3 tags there last year, they would say the same thing, to far to scout if you can't afford it, but if you spend the whole hunt up there you will find the big boys, especially when it starts to get real cold and nasty! Give the game wardens for that unit a call, they will practically point you at the big bucks.

• Like 3

You don't need a guide. I did it all by myself, scouted for 10 day and hunted for 5 before connecting on a 208 buck. Didn't have any help from anyone for either the scout or hunt and i never huntered the unit. If you know what you are doing and are mentally tough it is doable! Maps!!!!!!! Google earth. Go up there during the archery hunt. You could hang a bunch of cameras but i didnt use one. Just went old school mano y mano. Oh, bring lots of gas!!!!!

My family had 3 tags there last year, they would say the same thing, to far to scout if you can't afford it, but if you spend the whole hunt up there you will find the big boys, especially when it starts to get real cold and nasty! Give the game wardens for that unit a call, they will practically point you at the big bucks.

X2 on calling the Wildlife Manager the regional office 928-774-5045 can help you get started.

• Like 1

You can't expect to scout this early, find a bachelor heard, and then head back to that area during the rut. I know some good spots for the archery hunt, per my avatar, but they can be 20 miles away a few months later. They have one thing on their mind on the rifle = the ladies.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help Everbody , I plan on taking time to scout before my hunt probably going to loose my job my daughter has a 21 deer tag the week before and she has a bull hunt as soon as my hunt ends

Zuki, drop me a pm anytime you want. I learned a ton of info on how to hunt "A" and am more than willing to help. If you live in the north valley we can even meet up to go over some maps.

Thanks for the kind words about my buck guys, It took a lot of work to accomplish. Catfish, you shouldve "hired" me to help!!! Lol when are we going fishin???

• Like 4

Zuki,

I had a 13A pronghorn tag in 2010. About the only deer I saw were way on the south end of the unit. Don't remember the names of the roads but there are two main ones that come to an intersection way down south. I took this photo about 100 yards from that main intersection. Start on the south end and go from there.

Good Luck,

Nick

post-2759-0-79494300-1406236607.jpg

• Like 1

Zuki, if you get fired from your job for going hunting and you are an electrician I will hire you! The hrs for my guys fluctuate greatly come hunting season! Haha

• Like 2

It is a great unit. I have hunted it a couple of times. You really need to get up there an scout it. Bring plenty of water, plenty of fuel, and plenty of spare tires. Also ... word to the wise ... it can get REALLY COLD up there. I am usually a guy walking around in a t-shirt on cold nights and people think I am nuts ... the last year we went there it was COLD!!!!!!!! Find a place to camp when you scout and get there early for your hunt. There are not a lot of great spots to park your butt when you aren't hunting.

Get a BLM Map ... there is some private land up there, and some of those guys don't fool around. First time I ever saw the sign "I don't Dial 911 ... I shoot a .357" was up there ... right below a sign that said "NO TRESPASSING ... THIS MEANS YOU!!!!".

Another pointer is GLASS GLASS GLASS GLASS. Find the does and you will find the bucks not far behind them. Sage flats are great to sit and glass on ... one guy I ran into up there glassed up 15 bucks by the 2nd day of the hunt just going from flat to flat and glassing. Most were not shooters ... he ended up taking one on the last day that went 195" and change. Use Google Earth to find water that is just a few hundred yards off of roads, but hidden behind elevation changes. We saw more than one buck going to water in areas like that.

• Like 2

Oh yeah ... nice 208" buck ... great accomplishment for DIY. I didn't do as well on the rack, but he sure was TASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1