Sign in to follow this  
zukicrazy

13A RIFLE TAG

I was thinking about it, when you head up on one of your scouting trips swing in to Kanab and stop by the Muley Crazy office and talk to Ryan, he's a great guy really friendly and I'm sure he would give you some good points of intrest and steer you in the right direction. On top of that you'll get to check out all the amazing mounts and sheds he has there!

• Like 1

Awesome buck 208.

Good luck on the tag, wish I could help. But get there a couple days early to drive around and learn the country. You will do fine. Report back after the hunt.

Ryan hatch will defiantly talk to you, and give u the same exact spots he gave to the guy before and the guy after. Personally he has always been very nice every time I've been there but I know 2 guys plus myself who have gotten maps marked up by him and they are exactly the same....I don't fault him it's his business he's not gonna take away from his inventory of bucks he's put in countless hours and gobs of money scouting/hunting the past 20 years there. I'd def stop in but don't expect to shoot a 200"er from that. If you haven't been up there before your already behind the 8 ball. Gotta have luck + scouting or a guide.

If funds don't allow huge expenditures on this hunt then just realize that and go have an adventure! This is a tag people dream of having and you have one, take a moment and enjoy just that fact. Take a friend or two, see some beautiful country, with the chance of finding the buck of a lifetime...filling the tag or not, just enjoy the experience and God's creation!

The best hunt I have ever been on was in a "trophy" unit on a tag my gf had. Due to work, school, and research I couldn't scout at all. It was the best adventure I have ever been on and on the last evening we were under 200 yards from an amazing buck...missed shot but I wouldn't have changed a thing about the adventure or the memories.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to draw a strip tag several years ago when there was 200 inch bucks hitting the ground all over the place. With not having much time to scout and zero knowledge of the unit I hired a guide, that turned out to be a very wise investment. In the span of 8 days I saw 14 deer over 190 and was able to tag out on a 215 inch buck that was almost 36 inches wide. I think it all comes down to how much time and money you have to scout the strip is truly an amazing place like none other I have been. I did have a friend draw the tag two years ago he did it all himself and shot a deer that wasn't near as big as he thought it was when he pulled the trigger. He still thinks he may have made a mistake by not hiring a guide. What ever you decide have a great hunt and good luck.

If your looking for a guide or scouting package type deal it wouldn't be a bad idea to research A3 Trophy Hunts. Formerly Arizona Strip Bucks.

post-553-0-11676200-1406262682_thumb.jpg

Here are some bucks from this year and I know they are holding out on some HUGE ones.

post-553-0-64054800-1406262722_thumb.jpg

post-553-0-93400500-1406262709_thumb.jpg

post-553-0-02504000-1406262698.jpg

• Like 1

If you want to hire a guide, it would greatly increase your odds, but it's still not a sure thing. I've heard great things about the Bundy family up there, Ryan Hatch obviously is a great resource. The McClendons guide and hunt up there all the time - maybe putting down some money for a scouting package would help out. I got a very generous offer from a well respected guide who knows the area, but you just have to decide if you want to go with a guide, or go self-guided.

When I went up there, I wanted as much info as possible, but still wanted to do the hunt unguided. I wouldn't trade the "self-guided" experience for anything, but without a doubt, I was going up there with some good ideas of where to start and what to expect, due to the generosity of many guys who were willing to share some of their past experience.

• Like 1

Mt. Trumbull is a good starting point.

Isn't Mt Trumbull in 13b? I'm just learning the area myself in hopes of drawing a tag someday.
  • Like 1

Mt. Trumbull is a good starting point.

Isn't Mt Trumbull in 13b? I'm just learning the area myself in hopes of drawing a tag someday.
Answered my own question with a little research. It is in A. I drive through the strip a couple times a month on my way to and from work. I want to get in there and do some good scouting to learn it. Want to look for those chuckar too.

Looking forward to reading the results of your hunt. Good luck.

Brec Bundy. No 2nd thoughts.............BOB!

A guide is out of the question for me wish it wasn't but it is , so I'm going to try my best , couple people offered some good info so if it happens it happens .

A few of my buddies have the tag this year, 6 of them with the 13A tag, You will do just fine getting a nice buck with alittle research and scouting, if you are looking for the biggest buck out there you will spend many hours and lots of money out scouting.If you can i would get out to your spot 5 days before the hunt starts and watch the deer and be ready for opening morning.. Congrats on a awesome tag and Good luck on the hunt hope you get a monster!

Congrats on a great tag. All I will say is dont count out the north end of the unit. From what I have heard though the years from some great Mule Deer Gurus is some great deer are in that part of the unit. Remember one word..... WAG........ Water And Glass. Most Hunters that have hunted there dont have that chance to often. Most of the professional guide and outfitters that are in there with clients every year wont give you much free help. You cant blame them as this is their living. Clients come first. Enjoy the vastness of the strip and the experience of the hunt.

• Like 1

I'd add to the WAG one thing, GAS. so maybe it's WAGG, lol. You're going to spend a lot of time driving unless you pick one small spot and stay in it. I took 13 5 gallon gas cans (13B) and was going through them fast - and I was targeting a relatively small portion of the unit.

I can't wait to see the pictures and hear the story of your hunt. As I mentioned via PM, I might be up there at the same time helping out a friend. If I can swing it with work, I'll definitely be there. That place is amazing, and having only hunted the strip once, I'll only put in for 13B/A again and be content with left-over tags and archery hunting until I can go back.