southernxpress

New life to an old rifle

well no new pictures this time, but I shot it a little yesterday. Got if over the chronograph with the fire form load (3068fps). I was able to sneak up on this rock at 966 yards... pulled out my calculator, wind meter and things and dialed up... first shot was a solid hit and so was shot #2 and then #3 I got cocky and pulled it, but still on target (about a basket ball sized rock). So I am excited to get my real loads figured out as I only have a few more pieces to fire form. Once all fire formed I will anneal and shave a little off the necks too and get to playing again.

• Like 4

I was there as well and watched as Todd shot that rock. Then he coached Jon, myself and another friend of ours on how to do it also. We all hit that rock at 966 yds. Each with our own rifles, mine in 300 RUM, Jons in 270 WSM and Ryans in 270 Win! Thanks Todd for all of your help and gunsmithing.

• Like 2

post-8703-0-84915500-1409023270_thumb.jpgpost-8703-0-70255500-1409023360_thumb.jpg

A couple of pictures from during the build. It took a few thousandths to get a complete clean up on the action face. Man that's a long thread tenon on those 788's but it ended up being a nice fit between action and barrel.

• Like 1

Keep it up! Thinking of rebarreling my kimber Montana from a 257 bob to an AI? Thoughts?

Don't know why pic went sideways. But anyways. . Ive been busy helping everyone else and havent been able to do much w this rifle in a while. I did finally load up some 95gr VLD's as a Dasher and not the BR and shoot this group a couple days ago. It is four ahots at 100 yards for a .218" group... thin gs are looking pretty good. The chronograph quit before I shot this load but I know from the previous load that it is probably somewhere around 3050fps roughly. I still need to pull the gun apart and finish the metal and add a few more coats of finish to the stock too. But in the mean time this thing is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot!

post-8703-0-53082300-1416328509_thumb.jpg

Looks great Todd! Cant wait to use your 6.5 on my hunt next week

post-8703-0-22952100-1433089765_thumb.jpg

Finally made myself slow down enough to get the metal finished. I kind of had to since I wanted to take it and was afraid of possible rain and didnt want to contend w the bare metal. Put her back together and she still shoots awesome!

• Like 5

Great looking build and you did an awesome job on the whole gun. Congrats

Thanks you guys, its always fun doing that stuff! ... now I just need a deer tag to really finish it off! Was whacking steel with it at 400 yardsthis past weekend after being out with the boy scouts. Not the longest shoots with it by any means but just feel like u can't miss at those distances either

• Like 1