Sign in to follow this  
m4dmthree

bull elk last season unit 10

This was last years unit 10 bull i harvested on the first day. The game and fish website description of unit 10 strictly said don't shoot the first 350 bull you see but this being my first elk with a bow no way i could pass him. appreciate any feedback also hoping to be posting an archery bear soon taken hunt starts in 10 days!!!

• Like 9

That is one heck of a bull! Congrats! Good luck on your bear hunt. Be sure to post pics and a story. What unit will you be chasing bears in?

This was last years unit 10 bull i harvested on the first day. The game and fish website description of unit 10 strictly said don't shoot the first 350 bull you see but this being my first elk with a bow no way i could pass him. appreciate any feedback also hoping to be posting an archery bear soon taken hunt starts in 10 days!!!

lots talk big, but who passes on a REAL 350 bull that give you a clean shot? awesome bull dude.

• Like 2

I wonder sometimes how many really know what a 350 Bull is .

people tell you all the time they passed on a 350 during the archery hunts. my friend gave me this quote last season when we were talking about most hunters, "they might have SEEN a 350 running, at 300 yards, but they didnt pass on one." LMFAO! i love that.

• Like 1

I wonder sometimes how many really know what a 350 Bull is .

+1. I have shot 4 350" bulls, all under 25 yards, that turned out to be 322"-337" when I got my hands around them :wacko: My scoring ability goes to crap when I have a couple seconds to decide whether he's a shooter or not.

Nice bull - congrats. A story would be appreciated since it's your first post.

• Like 2

I would not have passed that bull either. Good call on the shot and congratulations on the harvest. How did he taste?

Nice first bull and first post...but yeah we need a story! I'd never pass on that bull...but then again I wish I hadn't passed on the first bull (5x5) I had in range a couple years ago...didn't have another in range the rest of the hunt.

• Like 2

Very nice bull indeed, and would require larger juevos than most to pass. He's a pretty 350 also!! Most 350 bulls are called 375's nowa days anyways. Good job for sure. My little brother who was 16 at the time had a bull we were calling 360 come into a tank with me at 15 yards on his archery hunt a couple years ago. He's the one who made the call to pass at 16 years old. The next evening we were sitting the same tank and the same bull came in and at 10 yards it was to much for me to take and i begged him to shoot him cause he looked bigger this time. Long story short he went 374 with 61 inches of mass and 56 inch main beams. Sometimes they actually grow after they hit the ground. 2 years later he drew again and i watched him pass a legitimate 370 type bull and many 340 to 350 bulls again only to come home empty handed. It's a big gamble when you pass a bull that goes 350 , and most go home empty handed after doing so. Great job m4dmthree on your bull and passing him would probably have been a mistake.

• Like 1

ill be hunting bear in the san carlos indian reservation. looking to shoot a good one like my dad did in the 90's. in 1994 he shot number 2 in the state in the same areas ill be hunting so well see. his archery bear scored 22 1/16. and yeah a few ppl might think i only hunt for trophies the way i talk but i will say i love eating all the animals i harvest even javelina they make good sausage!!! Lets face it bow hunters are looking for the accomplishment so big animals should be of focus!!

before the hunt started i talked to the locals in williams who were nice enough to give me some info where most of the 100 tags in the unit would not be hunting so i ended up forgetting all the hours of scouting i did to look in a place that i never saw a bull or a cow for that matter on the two days i spent in there. my brother and his friend had the tag and basically they went where we had been scouting hard because there was a 380 bull in there. i just had a feeling the night before the hunt. i told my buddy dylan ya know what were gonna go in to the place where we haven't seen elk yet i know there in there. After not being able to sleep most of the night in excitement like I'm sure most elk hunters have felt, it was finally time we all jumped out of bed, my brother and his friend took of to where we had a beautiful bull in there week before. ME and Dylan headed in to the place the locals told us. right away after hiking up to a little peak me and dylan spotted him and right away i knew he was a shooter. so we hopped in the truck and drove to where we last saw them going into the trees with his cows and a few other rag horns. we ended up stalking into this group completely blind up to 40 yards we even got a lot of it on video. we watched and looked for hours and couldn't find the big bull bedded down with the group. so after hours the elk finally got up and kinda knew something was up. they all shuffled out the trees back to the meadow but still no big bull. Dylan and I were definitely excited that we got that close on a blind stock on opening morning and on the way back to the truck thats when we spotted the big bull on the hill near our truck with our naked eyes. we ended up loosing him in the trees but we knew he was there!! so we headed back to Williams and ate some burger king and made a game plan for the afternoon. finally we got back to where we last saw him and glassed for about an hour or 2 with no success. out of no where into the trees across the railroad tracks about 80 yards away there he was raking a tree and immediately i grabbed my bow and binos and started to move down.. immediately they started looking i told dylan were already too close theres no way the cows are already eyeing us. one instant after saying that we both look at each other and the 2nd train we seen all day starts roaring down the tracks. i looked at my buddy and ran down to the tracks as the train passed i walked across the tracks into the meadow and started using the hoochie mama call and within a few minutes i had him face to face with me where i made a great shot and drilled him he ran 40 yards and crashed into a tree. thank you to my buddy dylan and everyone associated with the hunt sometimes things are just meant to be.

• Like 2

before the hunt started i talked to the locals in williams who were nice enough to give me some info where most of the 100 tags in the unit would not be hunting so i ended up forgetting all the hours of scouting i did to look in a place that i never saw a bull or a cow for that matter on the two days i spent in there. my brother and his friend had the tag and basically they went where we had been scouting hard because there was a 380 bull in there. i just had a feeling the night before the hunt. i told my buddy dylan ya know what were gonna go in to the place where we haven't seen elk yet i know there in there. After not being able to sleep most of the night in excitement like I'm sure most elk hunters have felt, it was finally time we all jumped out of bed, my brother and his friend took of to where we had a beautiful bull in there week before. ME and Dylan headed in to the place the locals told us. right away after hiking up to a little peak me and dylan spotted him and right away i knew he was a shooter. so we hopped in the truck and drove to where we last saw them going into the trees with his cows and a few other rag horns. we ended up stalking into this group completely blind up to 40 yards we even got a lot of it on video. we watched and looked for hours and couldn't find the big bull bedded down with the group. so after hours the elk finally got up and kinda knew something was up. they all shuffled out the trees back to the meadow but still no big bull. Dylan and I were definitely excited that we got that close on a blind stock on opening morning and on the way back to the truck thats when we spotted the big bull on the hill near our truck with our naked eyes. we ended up loosing him in the trees but we knew he was there!! so we headed back to Williams and ate some burger king and made a game plan for the afternoon. finally we got back to where we last saw him and glassed for about an hour or 2 with no success. out of no where into the trees across the railroad tracks about 80 yards away there he was raking a tree and immediately i grabbed my bow and binos and started to move down.. immediately they started looking i told dylan were already too close theres no way the cows are already eyeing us. one instant after saying that we both look at each other and the 2nd train we seen all day starts roaring down the tracks. i looked at my buddy and ran down to the tracks as the train passed i walked across the tracks into the meadow and started using the hoochie mama call and within a few minutes i had him face to face with me where i made a great shot and drilled him he ran 40 yards and crashed into a tree. thank you to my buddy dylan and everyone associated with the hunt sometimes things are just meant to be.

10i82tc.jpg

easy on the text brah

• Like 1