Sign in to follow this  
AZcoues_addict

My Desert Archery Mule Deer (pics)

I shot my best mule deer this past weekend with my bow!

I spotted a few sets of does and a couple bucks feeding below me up a thick wash, one buck was heavy and very respectable so I quickly moved out of sight and into position. I stalked down into the wash, heading toward them down the wash while they were heading up it. I had the wind in my favor, and was moving along very slowly, when I soon spotted does coming my way. Within minutes a few of the deer were within range, but the buck stayed out of sight. After a starring contest with one of the does within 8 yards, I took a few slow steps to get something started. The does headed up the hill and the large buck suddenly came busting out of the brush to meet them, stopping of course to look and see what the scare was about. I ranged him at 70 yards, knocked an arrow, drew my bow, and side stepped out from behind the bush I was hiding while drawn. I held my pin on him and applied pressure to my release, watching the arrow head straight toward his vitals. He bucked and kicked, and ran as quickly as he could over the small hill away from the does.

I knew I hit him, but wasn’t sure how well so I tracked him to the top of the hill. As I reached the crest, I could see his antlers sticking up about 80 yards down the next side. I had my best mule deer buck down!

post-918-1170227825_thumb.jpg

post-918-1170228386_thumb.jpg

post-918-1170228397_thumb.jpg

I never did see his rack too good before the shot but I knew he was a respectable buck and told myself I’d take the shot if he gave one to me. I had to make a quick decision and am very happy with him but I did think he was a bit larger before the shot (ground shrinkage, believe it or not). He's no coues so I might get harped a bit on this site, but I'm a native to AZ and I've focused the last 6 or more years ONLY on coues and decided to try something different for a change this year and love it, so go easy on me! :D

The whole story with additional pics is here:

http://www.azodchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13451

az coues-addict,

He is one wide buck- looks even bigger inside the Mule deer Sanctuary :lol: ( just kidding).

I'd be way proud of that deer! way to stick with it, some very nice mule deer taken with archery equipment this winter.

AzP&Y

Doug

What a bruiser, way to go. That third picture definitely shows how big he is.

Redman

Hey thats an awesome buck congrats. I was wondering though while looking at your pictures i can't really tell. Does he not have any eye guards or did they bust off his bases? Just wondering. Great buck, keep huntin'

Dan - Shortshooter

SS - He had small eyeguards that were broken off but they didn't look like they'd go much more than an inch anyway, if that. He could have broken them off anytime this fall, but I found a few other nice bucks with broken off tines so it could have happened recently, it was that time of year.