Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

Kayaking the Santa Cruz...

Guest oneshot

Yeah, I know it's a crazy idea to do solo and I wont be attempting it during a full-on flood, but has anyone here done this??? Is it legal??? My kayak (14foot Freedom Hawk) is extremely stable and almost impossible to flip-over (these words dont normaly go with the word "kayak").

I was thinking of the run between like Elephant Head and Green Valley...

As someone who sometimes pulls people (and mostly bodies) out of running washes for a living, I would highly advise against it. Much more danger than meets the eye.

If you were doing it anyway, like you said, go when it is done raining and not full on crazy. USGS realtime water flows can help you judge the conditions.

Interesting. 240 years ago, Father Kino described the Santa Cruz near Tucson as a "fast and wild river."

Be careful, Oneshot. After floods, river could have a lot of unseen hazardous like barbed wire and brush jams.

When I was in Tucson, our office was right along the Santa Cruz between Congress and St. Mary. It was always impressive to see the Santa Cruz running. Every so often, we'd see a kayaker and I'm pretty sure there were always police officers waiting for them. You contribute good stuff to this site. I'd hate to see you prove Darwin right...

• Like 1

Try the Gila instead oneshot during normal CFS flows, in the spring is the ideal time. Article says 1500-3500 CFS is optimal. I always wanted to kayak from the Kearny area to the railroad bridge in Hayden.

http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/gila2.html

• Like 2

The DRR Rescue app for iOS and android is good manual that many local firefighters are trained in. It certainly skips most river reading skills but it will give you a good idea of the capabilities of people trained in swift water.

Unless you are already experienced, your local community college probably offers a swift water rescue class which should include how to read a river. It wouldn't be totally applicable but would be better than nothing.

Just be carefull, there have been several sewage spills into the Morley wash in downtown Nogales in the past several days. They warned local law enforcement to stay out of the water due to ecoli and raw sewage. The Morley flows into the Santa Cruz north of exit 12 on I-19

Just be carefull, there have been several sewage spills into the Morley wash in downtown Nogales in the past several days. They warned local law enforcement to stay out of the water due to ecoli and raw sewage. The Morley flows into the Santa Cruz north of exit 12 on I-19

So you're saying he may not be the only floater on that river? Enough to keep me out.

Tried it once years ago in a canoe...bad idea! What looked like a little flow where we put in was much more in the narrower areas. Also, there was so much debris in the water. We got torn up by branches that were thrown in the river bed after trimming the pecans. We started in the area where sewage ponds are now, about a mile south of Duval Road, and got out about a mile before Helmet Peak road. Drug the canoe across the field to the Los Arbalos trailer park. We thought is would be fun and crazy...it just sucked!

If you are going to try it, watch the weather down south, but also watch for storms on the South West part of the Huachucas as this area feeds into the Santa Cruz.

• Like 1

Think a little more north and I'll do the Verde with you. 5 day trip from cottonwood to horseshoe lake or Bartlet

• Like 1

Try the Gila instead oneshot during normal CFS flows, in the spring is the ideal time. Article says 1500-3500 CFS is optimal. I always wanted to kayak from the Kearny area to the railroad bridge in Hayden.

http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/gila2.html

A good friend took an aluminum down with with noting but an oar, his electronic caller, and a rifle. That river took him into some country nobody had predator hunted for quite a spell. He shot 2 bobcats and a number of foxes on that river trip. He said a few times a dead tree had fallen over parts of the river and he had to push the boat down so it would pass under the timber. Says it took waaay longer than he expected.

Hyperwrx was it a few days trip or closer to a week?

If you have to do it, wait till the water is receding. Pick a section and pre-scout. Set up your shuttle and go for it. Fences, strainers, pipelines all can put you in a bag. Better yet, take mulepacker up on his offer.

screw all that. come up to visit in the valley. I kayaked the salt river about 2x a month last summer starting from may-oct. Haven't been able to go yet this year (sadness is setting in for sure). Its 11 miles from the top of the water users area down to granite reef dam. Duration all depends on who you take with. ha ha First time we did it in just under 3 hours, but the other guy was married. Done portions of it with my brother and I kept "loosing" him. think that trip was 5 hours. ha ha

Earlier is better unless you want the scenery with my brother.

Guest oneshot

Conditions havent been ideal, either to much water or not enough, to go through with this adventure...

Thanks for the info on locations up-State...