Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

Kayaking the Santa Cruz...

Try the Gila instead oneshot during normal CFS flows, in the spring is the ideal time. Article says 1500-3500 CFS is optimal. I always wanted to kayak from the Kearny area to the railroad bridge in Hayden.

http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/gila2.html

A good friend took an aluminum down with with noting but an oar, his electronic caller, and a rifle. That river took him into some country nobody had predator hunted for quite a spell. He shot 2 bobcats and a number of foxes on that river trip. He said a few times a dead tree had fallen over parts of the river and he had to push the boat down so it would pass under the timber. Says it took waaay longer than he expected.

The Gila can be fun! I grew-up in Kearny, and we used to tube from there to Kelvin all the time. As an adult I've been back to canoe it a few times. I've pretty much canoed the entire stretch from above Winkleman all the way down to the coke ovens (Cochran) at various times. Took a shotgun and jump-shot ducks one fall. Haven't done it in years though......

As teens we were warned of the dangers of tubing on the river because it used to have LOTS of heavy overhanging brush all along the way and a couple of barbed wire fences. As an adult on my canoe I was much more cautious (especially with the barbed wire). If anyone doses the Gila, beware of those things. The occasional large flood will scour some of the brush out for a season or two......

S.

:)

Just saw two guys going down the sant Cruz under I-19

I wish them luck. It was flowing over 10k cfs when I checked after the emergency operations center opened up. Not safe at all.

Resources were put on both sides in case it overflow and became impassable.