Christian2

12a otc lion tag

Glass everthing you can but keep the deer as your target. Lions are not rare but they are rarely seen.

Mike is right on. I have never seen a lion while hunting for them but I know plenty have seen me. You should always carry a lion tag for the unexpected. My wife and I have seen 14 lions between us and I was fortunate to have killed 3. Good luck on your deer hunt and may the hunting gods be with you in your quest for a lion. Take lots of pictures and share your hunt with us. :)

TJ

A good friend of mine has taken a few great Toms through the years on tne east side in Kanes Canyon. It is off the Lower House Rock Rd up behind Kanes Ranch.

Ok just a hand call or a wounded animal sound? Is Kane's ranch in 12a west? Congrats to him!

Jack rabbit in distress, cottontail in distress, woodpecker in distress (hand call or E-caller). Anything could work. can buy them at walmart, calranch, sportsmans, etc.. Just get back against a good bush or tree and squeal on it for 45 min. or more per stand. They can take a long time to come in and if nothing comes in then move to a different area. A good feather decoy would be handy also... and easy to make. Set it out about 30 yards or so in front of you where you can see it and anything approaching it. The decoy takes their attention off you and onto the wounded animal instead.

Ok thx. Do u know how to make a feather decoy? Could u send me a pm and let me know how to make one that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I have a 2ft thin metal stake.. something that you can poke into the ground easy. Just use some twine and electrical tape and tie on turkey feathers or whatever feathers you can get your hands on. (Craft stores like hobby lobby/michaels sell fake feathers if you don't have any old turkey feathers) Just something simple like that is all you need. The light feathers will blow in any breeze indicating a wounded critter. I've taken a few bobcats with this simple decoy and in my opinion much more effective than the annoying twirling electric decoy spinners that you can buy. I've always thought the twirling decoys are a bit much and can even be too intimidating for smaller critters like fox or bobcat. I'll see if I can round up a pic of the one I made for ya. Good luck

Ok awesome thank I will try to make one. Thank you so much. I will send pictures with any success I have. Thanks

Use a fawn on distress this last weekend with that call and my primos fawn decoy called in like 7 different deer. Then you can hunt doe and lion same time lol

Dont sit on your be-hind when you call, sit in a chair, the ones I use have a triangle seat or stand up with your back to a tree, and rest your rifle on your shooting sticks, you don't want the lion to appear right on top of you , your very vulnerable. They dont always sneak in they may run full tilt right to you (ON TOP OF YOU) this has happen to me and a friend more than once. You may not hear him until its to late. Please don't ask why as I don't want to type that entire story, but on a short note I will never sit on the ground in my life again, the first one I called in was taken 35 inch from the end of the rifle barrel.

we have called a lion in on 2 occasions while calling for bear. stick a hand call in your pocket. if hunting is slow then start screaming on that thing. Whitetail seem to respond to the predator call too not sure about mulies. I am loosely acquainted with a guy that has seen 2 up there in the last few scouting trips. The first he killed the second he just had to watch. Good luck on both animals! The makings of a fun hunt.