Thesteeleboy

Unit 23 December Coues

I finally spent my 11 deer points on a unit 23 December coues tag. I feel a bit like a kid at Christmas I've never hunted a coues before but can hardly wait to come down. I'm looking foreword to making new friends, seeing new country and hunting something that has been on my bucket list for most of my life. I wish I could have got it done while I was younger and in better health but am going to enjoy this hunt without a doubt. Thanks for all the friendship and decision making help I have received from members on this site. The friends I have made while hunting throughout my life mean more to me than the trophy's I have taken home. 6ANUT's friendship helped make my 2012 Elk hunt one to remember. Hunting memories last forever and Im looking forward to making more. Thanks to all the great people on this site.

• Like 4

Awesome! Congrats on the tag. My nephew drew the same tag with 2 point. Got to love the point system! I also drew the same unit but in October. Should be a totally different hunt in October. Good luck and again congrats on a great tag.

• Like 1

Awesome! Have you spent time in unit 23? It's got some amazing country!

Congrats on the tag and good luck on your preparation and hunt!

S.

:)

S.

No, I have never been in unit 23 stanley. This will be a new experience for me and due to my sister in law's Nov. Utah deloris triangle deer tag, and my grandsons Dec. Utah deloris triangle bull elk tag, I won't get to scout before coming to hunt. Fortunately I do have one friend made on this site that is going to help me what he can, setting out a few trail cameras and looking around a little, I think mostly in the southern portion of the unit.

Good luck on a great tag! Seems your December will be quite busy!

• Like 1

Man!! That is gonna be a great hunt! Congrats to ya and good luck on your busy season!

• Like 1

My friends son Zach who I helped raise from when he was 3 years old, now 35, Put me, his dad and himself in for deer this year unknown to me. He got my info from talking to his father. He made a mistake he said after we found our we were drawn for deer. He said he put us in for 21 Dec WT hunt. Well, we drew the Oct 23 WT hunt. From what I see on these posts, this must be a good area but I have not spent much time there. I was a true unit 21 hunter with 13 bucks taken out of it over 30 years. Anyone with a little honey hole info would be greatly appreciated. I would love to see this young man get a nice deer. He has grown up to be a wonderful father and dedicated hunter. Thanks to all the great people that use this wonderful website.

My friends son Zach who I helped raise from when he was 3 years old, now 35, Put me, his dad and himself in for deer this year unknown to me. He got my info from talking to his father. He made a mistake he said after we found our we were drawn for deer. He said he put us in for 21 Dec WT hunt. Well, we drew the Oct 23 WT hunt. From what I see on these posts, this must be a good area but I have not spent much time there. I was a true unit 21 hunter with 13 bucks taken out of it over 30 years. Anyone with a little honey hole info would be greatly appreciated. I would love to see this young man get a nice deer. He has grown up to be a wonderful father and dedicated hunter. Thanks to all the great people that use this wonderful website.

I don't understand. Are you saying that you were on the application with the original poster, and that you guys didn't get the tag he thought you got. Or, are you talking about your own situation, separate and apart from his?

To the response above about drawing the 23 Dec. tag with only 2 points, yes that is possible and happens all the time for residents, but a non-resident can only draw quality deer hunts by picking up one of the first half of the bonus tags offered in the bonus pass...which in this case meant having 11 bonus points.

• Like 1

It should be a great hunt Dale!

can't wait to get behind some glass and help out!

James

• Like 1

S.

No, I have never been in unit 23 stanley. This will be a new experience for me and due to my sister in law's Nov. Utah deloris triangle deer tag, and my grandsons Dec. Utah deloris triangle bull elk tag, I won't get to scout before coming to hunt. Fortunately I do have one friend made on this site that is going to help me what he can, setting out a few trail cameras and looking around a little, I think mostly in the southern portion of the unit.

That's awesome that you're getting some good scouting help here! It's a great site with lots of good folks!

Unit 23 in December should be awesome! Good luck!

S.

PS: Sounds like you've got some great hunts lined-up there in Utah! I'll be up there for the general deer hunt in October (Nine Mile area)! ;)

• Like 1

Stanley, You will have to earn a real good buck in that area but they are in it. The deer numbers are better now in that area than they have been for many years. I was working in the area this spring and was surprised to see as many deer as I did. Its also been a great year for moisture and feed so antler growth should be good this year. Are you hunting down in the lower private property or on public land? Hunting is best when the unit gets a little snow, and a lot of deer hunts it does, so be prepared for it. and good luck;

I wanted to share of some of the action I was able to get on video from this years rut that took place during January. Definitely not as good as last year video especially in the big buck department. I just couldn't find very many big bucks this year. Also had a very hard time getting any rutting action recorded. I didn't see much bucks chasing does but I did see more fights this year then I normally see. Some real antler busters too not bucks just sparring each other. It was awesome to watch but unfortunately I didn't get any of the good scraps on video. I had a lot of bad luck videoing this year when it came to getting any of the action recorded. Already looking forward to next years rut so I can redeem myself.

As always be sure to watch it in HD.

[media]http://youtu.be/ow9WJpxT41s[/media]

I don't understand. Are you saying that you were on the application with the original poster, and that you guys didn't get the tag he thought you got. Or, are you talking about your own situation, separate and apart from his?

To the response above about drawing the 23 Dec. tag with only 2 points, yes that is possible and happens all the time for residents, but a non-resident can only draw quality deer hunts by picking up one of the first half of the bonus tags offered in the bonus pass...which in this case meant having 11 bonus points.

Yes. I was on the app. with the original poster who put down the wrong hunt number. Hew thought he put us in for 21 Dec W/T. We drew the oct. W/T