Sign in to follow this  
Vitals

Where to get a safe?

The biggest drawback to the bighorn safes from Costco is the smell. My buddy has one that's 2 yrs old and it's still got a serious stank . . . Oh yeah and they are Chinese, that was actually my biggest beef.

1shot how are the cabelas liberty safes or the lower end liberty's? I have one and was wondering how they are rated. I may need to upgrade[/liberty safes are like all others. They try to cover every market out there so they make a cheap safe and a really good safe so they can cover everyone's price range. Anything that they sell that has less than a 90 min. Fire rating is built in china or Taiwan and shipped to their factory and assembled there. When you get into their high end models they are built here and built good. All safe manufacturers are doing that now.

Amsec,liberty,fort Knox, all make a great safe and all make a crap safe. Just depends on the model.

A couple things to look for are fire ratings,body construction and most important is if the safe has relockers and hard plates.

In my opinion the BF model safe made by Amsec/American Security are by far one of the best on the market today.

The Costco safe is around 60x30 and weighs maybe 400 pounds. anything good that size will weigh around 1000 - 1100 pounds

• Like 1

Tractor Supply or Shopper Supply has a pretty good deal on safes

Not to hijack the thread from the OP, but this video really opened my eyes. It's a bit long, but full of info. It' convinced me to save up to get the right safe.

Maybe someone could shed light on the major difference between 11ga. & 12ga. ?

12 is just barely thinner, but why the price jump for the 11 gauge? Tractor Supply has the 12's

I have a Cannon I got from Costco 13 years ago. Cannons have a great warranty if broken into. Safes are kind of like good binos....buy once, cry once..... :o :rolleyes: B)

I have a superior safe from the safe factory store. Just off i17 and bell. Love it! Dave is a great guy and as I found out , my neighbor! Get more safe than you think you will need! Not just guns but, optics, jewelry, important papers and a whole lot more stuff ends up being put in there. It looks great in my trophy room as well!

• Like 1

See Copperstate Lock & security at McClintock and Warner in Tempe. We sell the American Security Safes and usually have huge discounted prices.

Ask for Jim

I bought a new safe a couple months ago from Guns Etc in Mesa. I got a "moving sale" good deal on a Heritage, one of the larger models...made in the USA. I hear they will be having several models built in China starting this year....like many of the others. It seems to be of good quality, security and features. Plenty of room for my needs. It's a heavy sucker!