Mesabulls

22 December whitetail

I was luck enough to draw one of the 50 late 22 coues tags. Since this is my first coues hunt I had a couple questions. Is this tag as good as everyone is telling me? I will have plenty of vacation time and have good optics, should I shoot the first 80" buck I see? I am pretty comfortable shooting out to 300 yards should I anticipate a farther shot than that? I am excited for this hunt, hopefully this is the year I wrap a tag around a coues antler.

LOL... your tag... shoot what you want... but better get proficient out to at least 400 ( I prefer 500-600 to be safe) yards... I have hunted that hunt LOTS in my life and I wouldn't peel my tag for less than a 110"er... but that is just me... LOL.

• Like 2

I would let your scouting trips tell you what you should settle on. If you are seeing a 100" buck or two hold out. If all you have seen is 70" bucks I would shoot the first 80. 80" in most guys eye's is a great buck. Especially for a first coues.

• Like 1

That's some BIG country. I'd be practicing at 500 yds.

If I had the vacation time I would try to hold out for bigger than 80's. I said TRY! It's your hunt. If you want to shoot him then go ahead.

Make sure you take pics and write down the story of your hunt.

Congrats on a great tag and Good Luck!

• Like 3

Take good optics and glass away. I have seen some good bucks in that unit. And yes that is a good tag, been thinking about burning lots of points on that hunt but at this point i gotta hold out for the strip lol.

• Like 1

Horrible Unit. Everyone should stay away. There are no Deer in 22!!!! Trust me;)

• Like 2

All the deer I have killed in 22 have been at 200 or less. Muley and 2 coues. It's very possible to get inside 300.

Good luck, hopefully there will be a few deer left after the October hunt. I'll try to leave one lol

• Like 1