Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckkiller

18 points for Elk

I have been hunting elk since early 80's. Got my first archery elk tag my senior year in HS for fall 1980. In all that time I have never had a rifle elk tag or for that matter even applied for a rifle elk hunt. That being said, I have been on several rifle elk hunts and my wife even had an early unit 10 hunt back in 2003. So..... at the risk of getting persecuted here this is what I would do. Knowing what I know and what I have experienced, I would not even consider a rifle or muzzle loader hunt. Sure, the elk are still in rut mode and they are pretty easy to locate. Shooting one at 200, 300 + yards is definatley a possibility. However, there is just something about hunting elk in September with a bow that is so special. Being up close and in the comfort zone of an elk is crazy exciting and your heart feels like it is going pound right out of your chest. I never got that feeling on rifle hunts. Lots of times it's rush, rush and you're just trying to get within your effective rifle range.

If your goal is to kill a big bull then rifle muzzy might be better but if your goal is to have the opportunity to chase huge bulls, then maybe even shoot a magnificant animal and have a much better hunting experience then go archery.

If I had 18 points I would go unit 9 or 23 first and 2nd choice archery only. If you really want that unit 1 tag, go for it with a bow. Get drawn, have a great hunting experience and then start hunting easier units to draw with a bow. Life is too short to be sitting on the sidelines.

Of course all of this is my opinion and I would take my age and health into consideration for what I would apply for.

Good luck on whatever you decide and I hope you have a great experience.

• Like 2

I am trying to be patient.. Its just really starting to run out though. I have been going back and forth from unit 1 to unit 9.. I also have 16 points for deer and im trying my hardest not to fold. I know with all the points I have I need to hold out for what I want but it gets harder and harder ever year when I get on the computer and find out I drew another point.

I was in the same boat. I tried a rifle tag 1st then a archery tag. First time ever putting in for archery bull

18 points and I have an Elk tag and 2 weeks to hunt instead of 7days. Plus the bulls will not be as broken up.

You'll have more resident tags in the bonus pass in 2016. That might put you over the top for a unit you really want, or your odds might sink if people come out of the shadows to cash in.

I'd have to go early rifle with the time investment you've got into it already. I love archery hunting elk, but I don't think I'd burn 18 on any archery hunt.

BBK, you should go hunt a general rifle OTC elk hunt in Colorado, then realize why we have it nice with quality and pressure. Then wait for your unit of choice in AZ and not settle for a lesser choice. You waited 16 years already. Spend the next few years until drawn learning the unit and routines of the elk and hunters in your chosen unit. $0.02.

• Like 1