Sign in to follow this  
chopshop

FS Wall tent barrel stove

Looking to sell my wall tent stove. Purchased it last year from Cabela's and used it on two hunts. I'm extremely happy with the stove, however it's just too big for my Alaknak 12' x 12' tent. Included with the stove are two side racks, complete chimney and dampner. I'd like to get $190. The pic below is a stock pic from Cabela's and I've included a link to the stove as well. The stove is well kept and is rust free.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp-Chef-Wall-Tent-Barrel-Stove-Kit/716016.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwood%2Bstove%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=wood+stove&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products#BVRRWidgetID

post-11183-0-63318900-1407383255.jpg

Saw this link and was interested until you mentioned that it was too big for your Alaknak 12x12. That is the exact tent that I have, and I was thinking of purchasing a wood stove for it.

Are you going to get a new stove? Have you decided which size/model you are going to go with? Again, I would be curious as I am thinking of purchasing one for my tent as well.

S.

:)

PS: Good luck selling this stove! Looks like a good deal on a nice stove for someone!

I have this same stove and tent and find it a perfect match for our needs, when its storming hard and well below freezing. That is a fair price.

I have seen this stove in a few tents and I would have to say I thought it was very cozy in the tents I was in. I would buy it if I had a need. :)

TJ

Saw this link and was interested until you mentioned that it was too big for your Alaknak 12x12. That is the exact tent that I have, and I was thinking of purchasing a wood stove for it.

Are you going to get a new stove? Have you decided which size/model you are going to go with? Again, I would be curious as I am thinking of purchasing one for my tent as well.

S.

PS: Good luck selling this stove! Looks like a good deal on a nice stove for someone!

I'll correct myself, it's too big for our tent.... We sleep four in there on two Disc-o-bunk beds, which take up a lot off room. Depending how many cots you have in your Alaknak this could be a great fit for you.

I'll be looking into a small sheep herders stove, although quite a bit smaller, it should work well for our needs.

Great clarification! I've got two slumberjacks plus one of the Disc-o-bunks when I want to sleep four. It does get crowded...... I suppose that at some point, no matter how big/small the stove is it just wouldn't be practical for me to squeeze that plus 3-4 sleepers in.

I notice that Cabela's has the Sheep Herder stoves, and it looks like one of them is a little smaller. Wonder how that would work?? http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sheepherders-Alaskan-and-Packer-Stoves/744761.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D716016&categoryIds=104791680%7C104757480%7C104627880%7C&WTz_l=RI%3BIK-519238

Either way, good luck on selling this stove!

S.

• Like 1

I also have the Alaknak 12x12. I have the stove that was sold at a discount with the tent several years ago. It's a cheaper stove...not very airtight, but works quite well. If temps are not below freezing, the stove is too much heat. I usually just use a propane heater, since most temps on my hunts are above freezing. The stove is a great option on Nov/Dec hunts.

There is nothing like nestling into a warm bag with the slight smell of juniper, the crackle of burning wood, and the soft glow of the the stove....makes me wish for colder hunts.

I was in Cabelas looking at this stove set up in the Alaknak 12x20 display last weekend. It is tempting to upgrade...

Now this is my kind of topic. I ran that exact model stove in a rented 12x14 wall tent and it will crank out the heat but it needs to be loaded pretty often unless you have really good and dry hardwood to burn. You might be able to extend burn times a bit by adding a gasket to the door. I was very close to buying this stove for my tent but ended up going with a 3 Dog stove for the baffled design and Made in USA factor. For the money this stove is tough to beat. Good luck with the sale!

i HAVE THIS SAME STOVE IN MY 12X20 TENT AND IT HEATS IT JUST FINE. Sorry for the caps lock. :)

I have the exact same setup 12x12 Alaknak and stove. I added a gasket to the door and that helps with burn rate. My son and I have used this setup to keep us warm on some pretty cold elk and deer hunts. My son, my brother, my nephew and I weathered a pretty good storm a few years back while deer hunting. Granted my son was a teenager and my nephew was about six. First time my son and I used it on his first JR. elk hunt: 4:00 AM as we're getting ready... Me "how did you sleep" him "pretty good, it got a little hot in here, I had get out of my sleeping bag a few times, how 'bout you" Me "I was up all night putting wood in the stove so you wouldn't get cold, I think I need to add a gasket to the door".

• Like 2

I have the exact same setup 12x12 Alaknak and stove. I added a gasket to the door and that helps with burn rate. My son and I have used this setup to keep us warm on some pretty cold elk and deer hunts. My son, my brother, my nephew and I weathered a pretty good storm a few years back while deer hunting. Granted my son was a teenager and my nephew was about six. First time my son and I used it on his first JR. elk hunt: 4:00 AM as we're getting ready... Me "how did you sleep" him "pretty good, it got a little hot in here, I had get out of my sleeping bag a few times, how 'bout you" Me "I was up all night putting wood in the stove so you wouldn't get cold, I think I need to add a gasket to the door".

Love the commentary! ha ha nice sweat your kid outta his sleeping bag.. A for effort dad! ;) I remember my dad doing same for me with a heater that almost killed us when I was 10 in Kaibab, that good intention gave me headache for days.

Sweet stove but guess I need proper tent 1st

• Like 1

Same here Clintb, my kids HATED when I brought the stove along on the hunts.

• Like 1

Great clarification! I've got two slumberjacks plus one of the Disc-o-bunks when I want to sleep four. It does get crowded...... I suppose that at some point, no matter how big/small the stove is it just wouldn't be practical for me to squeeze that plus 3-4 sleepers in.

I notice that Cabela's has the Sheep Herder stoves, and it looks like one of them is a little smaller. Wonder how that would work?? http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sheepherders-Alaskan-and-Packer-Stoves/744761.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D716016&categoryIds=104791680%7C104757480%7C104627880%7C&WTz_l=RI%3BIK-519238

Either way, good luck on selling this stove!

S.

Stanley, what are you using now, if anything?

I've looked at Sheep herder stoves on Cabela's site; I would probably get the smaller one and fill it with some mesquite or ironwood after I had a nice bed of coals in it. ;)