MULEPACKHUNTER

Monday Check in

It was time to test my program & progress in a real-world setting. Took my pack, filled it to right at 50lbs and hit the hills Sunday and Monday at 5500 to 6000+ feet of elevation.

I tried my 10 months of workouts and blubber loss against the hills. Boom - No Problem. No stopping. No dropping a lung. It didn't matter what the terrain was like. Ducking under & around trees didn't matter. A night and day difference. This year's hunting will be great. Next year will be even better. Steady progress.

I need to do a thread called "The Skinny Fat Guy". One of the guys we had with us is a little too quick to remind me that he's height/weight proportionate and stays that way without a fitness regimen. After the smack talking, he got schooled on fitness yesterday. I felt bad for him sucking wind until I realized it was a self-inflicted situation. Been there. It was his turn.

• Like 1

My week consisted of walking at the zoo with my 7 year old on her field trip, walking 10 miles with a pack on with my 13 year old, 3 days of hunting with the 13 year old, dragging a 5X5 muley out of a canyon for her, 4 more 1/2 mile stalks till she got her doe on the last night of youth season, and an all-around great week. Weighed in at 222 last Thursday, which is 42 down since July 4th, about 17 more to go to hit my goal.

• Like 2

You guys are doing awesome!! congrats to all of you on your much improved fitness!

I plan to be out hunting Monday and I have been gone the last several mondays, so I am checking in early. Down 15 pounds as of yesterday, so that's good progress. Been hiking around with my hunting pack full of my gear and adding heavy rocks on the way uphill. Feeling good, eating healthy and amped up for my Coues hunt...leaving tomorrow. planning to do a backpack hunt, though that might change. Will be nice packing less weight around in the hills :)

Monday night - still sitting at ~203 from my vacation indulgence. I'm back on a strict eating plan now. Not so much last week. Business lunches at the Mexican food joints are not slimming. The positive side: I can eat almost whatever now and not gain. The negative side: I want to get back on the BMI ideal area so I can't stay in one spot and make that goal.

Workouts are still 5 or 6 days a week - religiously. That's definitely paid off in the cardio arena.

I'm right at 30 days to elk season. Let's see how eating clean, clean, clean - no beer and no BS processed food - for 30 days cuts weight.

• Like 1

Fixed the not-so-great eating a week ago. Back on the meat & vegetable wagon, down almost 2lbs and refocused.

Still working out like a machine. I'll be starting 2-a-days in the near future as my hunt nears. I wish I'd had this kind of workout tenacity in my 30's. Heck - I just might start 2-a-days tonight.

By the way - it's amazing how fast simple carbs and insulin spikes halt weight loss progress. Grinds you to halt in one meal.

• Like 2

Gained a little bit back. Too many honey-do projects after buying a house. Honey-do projects=beer consumption. Especially when im building a bar!

• Like 2

Been completely off track last 2 weeks but luckily not weight gain. I am on a new work schedule and have been very busy with hunts and packing the mules. Next 3 weeks are solids hunts minus 3 more 13 hour sshifts. I have a gola of running more miles than my the mules get this week.

• Like 1

I am at 219.6 The wife says I need to quit losing at this point. I am resisting her evil temptation and still trying for more. Eating clean and healthy still. Haven't worked out as hard for the last 2 weeks and I can tell it. I have 35 days until my elk hunt. I honestly don't care if I lose any more weight, but I still have muscle and cardio work to do.

• Like 1

Down two more pounds since I last posted......did my backpack hunt, which was awesome, right up until the point where the big buck ran away unhurt despite throwing lead at him...oh well...had a great time and great opportunity at giant buck....anyway, on the backpack hunt I ate a lot of calories to make sure I didn't run out of energy during the hunt and ate things that I normally don't eat now like mountain house meals, bagels and peanut butter...but I still managed to lose weight, so that's awesome! Felt strong and was wonderful being slimmer on my hunt. Can't wait until next year to be toting around a lot less weight. Luckily one of my hunting buddy is into this same weight loss, high nutrition eating that I am doing, so that made it a lot easier to not sabotage my diet.

• Like 1

Marked an unexpected drop this morning.......even though it is Friday I am checking in with a total of 10 lbs lost......I did a double take as I have had to stop serious exercise due to tendon issues but I have continued to run/walk a little and pay close attention to intake.

Plus wrestling season started and that always helps!!!

Best of luck to all you out there trying to stick to a program....

• Like 2

Great week.

Tuned up the heat on the workouts even more - clean eating (except while at the ASU game - man oh man was that a good time). Showing a little over a pound lost on the scale, but the clothes are getting bigger by the day. It will be a fine, fine day when I donate the 34" stuff.

Tested the 1000 foot vertical time - got it down to 15:40. 41 seconds from the goal. 3000 vertical is easily/consistently under an hour now at around 54:00. Hundreds of situps. Hundreds of pushups, squats, burpees, presses, etc. etc.

Solid week of work & progress.

• Like 1

Not much change for me this week. Finally got my garage squared away to so my weights are accessible again. Should see some more gains in the upcoming weeks.

• Like 2

While I haven't posted on this yet, I decided to jump in. I'm the "hunting buddy" Amanda referred to in her post. I changed my diet to a low calorie, high nutrition ration and have been amazed at the difference it made! I dropped 12 pounds in three weeks and felt great on our recent backpack hunt! I'm still working out every week but not as often as I would like. I bought Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book "Eat To Live" and have been working on sticking to the principles of eating found in the book and I'm sold!

• Like 2