Sign in to follow this  
squinko

Good Turkey Round

Hello all,

I got a 6A any turkey tag this year. I haven't hunted those birds in over 20 years. I will be using my old Ithaca 12 ga. 2 3/4". Since it has been awhile I am looking for recommendations on which round to use.

Trying to get a feel for what everyone is using now for the 2 3/4" guns. Back in the day we used 00 buck but I am sure things have advanced and there might be something better now.

Any suggestion would be great!

Thanks,

Benny.

I would suggest a #4 shot in the hottest load you an find. Any chance of borrowing a gun that will take 3" shells.

• Like 1

I've been hunting turkeys for 20 years and my favorite load has been a tie between #5's and 4X6 duplex loads. Favorite loads in #5 is the Federal w/ flight control wads. I believe Remington is the only company that sells the 4x6 duplex if you can even find them.

-Orion

• Like 1

I've been hunting turkeys for 20 years and my favorite load has been a tie between #5's and 4X6 duplex loads. Favorite loads in #5 is the Federal w/ flight control wads. I believe Remington is the only company that sells the 4x6 duplex if you can even find them.

-Orion

Oh, and I'm sure your Ithica is a reliable shooting gun, but I use the Remington Super Mag w/3.5" chamber. Turkey's don't stand a chance out to 50 yards with super full turkey choke.

+1 on the extended turkey choke tube. If you are able to, I would get a box of #4 and #5's. Set up a piece of cardboard at 40 yds and shoot both of them to see which patterns better for your particular gun. Every gun/choke combination is unique and will pattern differently. I switched to the Winchester Longbeard XR shells last year and have been very happy with the patterns they shoot from my gun. I am not sure if they are offered in 2 3/4".

Thanks for the advice. I plan to keep hunting the turkeys so I will upgrade the shotgun down the road. I will pattern a couple of the rounds you guys have suggested.

Thanks.

For the Spring hunts I think all the loads suggested are good, but for the Fall hunt I would use a little bigger shot to extend your range a bit. Hornady makes a 2-3/4 #4 Buckshot load that I think would make a great Fall turkey load. No matter what you choose, be sure to pattern your gun and know your limits. Good luck on the hunt!

My personal recommendation (2 cents)

12GA

3"

No#4

Winchester Long beard

This is the best of the best IMO

Pricey at $40 a box of 10

post-2686-0-83071300-1412795473_thumb.jpg

Try this out. I recommend like many others, the #4 with a long range choke! Good luck.

turkeytarget1.pdf