Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Talk to me about Blue Heelers

Who owns one? Do they need constant attention? They seem to be smart as a whip, and maybe smarter than some people I know.

I looking for more of a companion then a working dog.

We had a few growing up. I like them. They do make great companion dogs. They also tend to be a little more on the hyper side but very loyal. Good watch dogs too, only down side to that is they will bite if they feel they need to. That's good or bad depending in the situation.

We have had reds and blues. Probly my favorite dogs. Tough, loyal and yes very smart. Never had biting issues but one would heal the kids if they ran. They are energetic and if you don't spend time with them they find other ways to spend energy, like eating everything. But good dogs for sure.

I love my blue heeler. Take her with me everytime I'm not archery hunting. Stays by my side te entire time and lays down next to me everytime I glass. She loved chasing cows at first but I broke her of that habit real quick. Every bad habit she's ever had she's stopped the minute I yelled at her. She's also the only one of three dogs that I've had that survived my neighbors three on one pitbull attacks. She's tough as nails. Water would trickle out of her neck when she drank. No vet, just at home doctoring from me. Can't even tell it ever happened now. Best breed of dog in my opinion for a country person. I've read that they're not so great when they're stuck in a small yard all day. I've seen a fair share of heelers that were biters so raise it around a lot of different people and kids if you don't want any issues. Mine won't do anything to anybody but try to get petted.

• Like 1

We have a half blue / half border collie. That ought to be a SMART dog ... and he is smart, but not near as smart as our Aussie. He is actually calmer than our Aussie (who is nearly 10 and still hyper) though.

Love 'em, grew up with nothing but Queensland Heelers.

I've had several the last 35 years. They are hard wired enough to rush into an ocotillo patch to send the bulls out.

Twice I've seen my heeler rush into the grass or brush ahead of me and toss a rattler in the air if he thinks I'm in danger. They are very loyal, energetic dogs and always seem to know when there's a camera out.

They are great companion dogs and go everywhere I do unless it's just too hot. They'll make themselves right at home in your truck and feel betrayed if you go somewhere without them. But don't teach them to drive, they're smart enough, but slick enough to hotwire one, too.

Look up Skidboot on Youtube.

post-11051-0-99920000-1408885601_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-27086000-1408885719_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-62602000-1408886936_thumb.jpg

Lots of guys around here have one. The breed you are referring to is called the Australian Cattle Dog. They can be blue or red. Very smart and loyal but really need a job to do. If you live in an apartment and will be gone all day I would highly recommend you don't get this dog. If you live on a farm where the dog can keep himself occupied with the other critters or you are going to have it with you all day, they make great companions, but left alone to their own devices without direction they can cause issues like digging, chewing, etc. etc. I love em!

The last one I saw was in my rear view mirror. I made a 90 turn on a country road and glanced back to see a blue heeler go bombing out of the back of a pickup who went straight. It rolled on the ground about 4 times and the truck stopped. The dog got up and looked around, jumped in the back of the truck, and the truck took off without the driver even getting out. I would not consider myself an expert but they seem smart, stubborn, tough and high energy. I wouldn't get one for a house dog.

• Like 1

Tough. Smart. Loyal. Energetic.

If you have the time to mold one into what you want out of a dog (worker, companion) they will be one of the best dogs you've ever had.

• Like 2

I have a pup I got from Gino (aka Coues & Sheep ) she is just over a year old. I take her everywhere I go we just did two bear hunts in unit 23S & 24A she was by my side the whole time. I have a 3 year old granddaughter that is all over her with no problems.

Simply said great dog.