elkman

2014 off range oryx

After waiting for 8years to draw an on range oryx hunt I finally gave up and applied for an off range hunt. They are much easier to draw for a non residend. Its a big gamble due to the price of the tag and the low success rate but I was ready to gamble. Going in to the hunt I had no real idea where to go. I went up a week early and started scouting in all the areas I thought would be decent glassing spots on all sides of the range boundry. I never saw an oryx off range until the fourth day of scouting when I found this giant tending his cow. I watched him for three days until the opener. I glassed him up on opening morning at around 590 yards. I waited for it get good and light so I could get good video of the shot. I set up for the shot and nailed him with one shot and he was down. I had a super fun hunt and was rewarded with a toad of an oryx. He measured right at 88". His horns were 38" and 36" with a broken tip, with 7" bases. Defiantly a hunt to remember. Thanks for the help Louie Jason and Harry

post-745-0-42488900-1408903153.jpg

post-745-0-32440600-1408903160_thumb.jpg

post-745-0-93132200-1408903167.jpg

• Like 5

Nice!

I've always been reluctant to apply for the off range. If you don't mind saying, Was it public land?

Nice job! That's a beautiful animal - congrats on the hard work and getting it done on an amazing trophy.

thanks for the replies. Yes he was killed on public land. All the private ranches want way to much imho to hunt on the,. The tag is pricey enough. This Oryx was safe most of his life in a un-hunt

able area until he decided to chase this cow onto public land. The off range hunt is doable but be ready to spend some time scouting and hunting to be successful. Its definatly not on range quality.

Wow! Great job man being persistent on getting it done.

You are having a heck of a year Josh. Congrats.