100%DIYazCOUES

do bears push bucks out?

Hey guys I've got a question.I've been hunting the same area for coues for several years, havent seen a bear in there in over a decade until the January hunt this year.then this weekend while hunting I had 3 different bears come through. Since last fall,the bucks I've been watching for years have seemed to leave the area,and it seems like I've seen them less and less as I see more bears around.do the bucks tend to avoid areas with bears?

No, I have plenty of bears and bucks on camera the same day for the past few years. It might be that that year the food sources in that area are better for bears and the deer also found some other place that year for better food sources.

The big bucks wont tolerate bears. Now before I get people calling "BS" and stating the obvious that bears are all over, let me explain. Yes bears and big bucks will be captured on trail cameras on the same day. Usually this is when food/water is limited and big bucks have no choice. With the rains we have been getting big bucks have the choice to move wherever they are less pestered.

I appreciate the answers.there have been very few,if any,bears in this area for at least the past decade. I was just wondering if the increase in bears did in fact influence the behavior of the more mature bucks.just always trying to learn something new in regards to ghost hunting!

The big bucks wont tolerate bears. Now before I get people calling "BS" and stating the obvious that bears are all over, let me explain. Yes bears and big bucks will be captured on trail cameras on the same day. Usually this is when food/water is limited and big bucks have no choice. With the rains we have been getting big bucks have the choice to move wherever they are less pestered.

whats your theory that big bucks wont tolerate bears? Not being a smart azz, just curious.

last year i had a TON of bears on all of my game cameras, and not many mature bucks at all. this year for some reason, i have very few bears coming in, and lots of big, mature bucks. i see a direct correlation in number of bears, and number of mature bucks. i think that big old bucks are just very shy, and want to keep out of harm's way and avoid danger whenever possible. little bucks and does don't seem to mind the bears. big bucks are big for a reason and they know that a big old rogue boar can see them as a meal, just like a lion. I am not saying that bears are as hard on deer as lions, but they are opportunistic animals, especially the big, mature bears. if a deer is going to hang around, the bear will try to kill it. last year, during the bear influx, much of the bear scat i found had deer hair in it. just my two cents, but i am a FIRM believer that big bucks avoid areas with a heavy bear concentration.

• Like 1

Glassing from Myrtle Point off the rim road down into 22, I had coyotes circling a bear feeding on a dead elk carcass; a bachelor herd of bulls bedded, (2) coues bucks feeding / wandering through, and a small mulie herd (good buck, spike, and several does) feeding. Total radius of all this was maybe 600 yards. No, I don't think animals are all that pushed away by other animals (wolves and cats maybe)

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

johnnie blaze,

I have a few spots with trail cameras in them. These areas have nice to big bucks in them during the August/September deer season. I don't get many bears on camera during this time, however the end of September and early October when the acorns ripen guess what happens. The bears move in and are thick due to the acorn crop. During this time the big bucks seem to disappear even though there are acorns on the ground and the does and young bucks are feeding on them.

Now this is just my observation and not scientific by any means but I theorize the big bucks move out due to the pressure and presence of the bears. The big bucks may be moving out for another reason like browse of more favorable plants are better somewhere else or whatever. All I know is when the bears move in the big bucks seem to move out.

• Like 1

While bear hunting this last weekend I spotted 4 bucks in 1 day 2 spikes a 80" buck and one that was over 100". Now this is an are where I get up to 10 different bears on camera. That same day I saw 3 bears that came in. So do bears effect the big bucks... No not in my opinion. The next day we seen those bucks on an opposite hill where we lost by brothers bear. So they did stick around the general area where the bears are.

Guest oneshot

100%DIYazCoues:

Just from my observations...

I think it depends on the terrain, type/amount of water/food/cover and the over-all mix of game animals, if there are few Bears around, deer and other game will give them a wider "bubble", when Deer and Bear interact daily(using the same areas) that 'bubble' will shrink...

TheGrayGhost:

He is a nice Buck isnt he???, decent width and tine length, very symetrical 3x3... that cut and choke point gets every animal coming through, Deer, Bears, Mt. Lion, coatis, etc. ...