COOSEFAN

Freaks of the Woods

I am a sucker for antler character, regardless of what type of critter grew it! What cool, abnormal, sheds or skulls have you guys found?

This one is a Coues. The story behind this is one of my brothers friends found this buck and it's skeleton by a tank in 6A. He never even touched it, he didn't care! He said it was "JUST a SMALL RACK" and didn't want to waste his energy packing it out! My Bro told me about it and I jumped in the truck and jammed up there and found it! I have some cool photos of it covered in snow, I will try to find them, and I GLADLY packed it out for myself! It didn't look like a lion kill and it was several months after the last hunt, so I don't know what killed it, but I'm glad not everyone likes what I like! JIM>

freakant1.jpg

freakant.jpg

freakant3.jpg

freakant4.jpg

• Like 2

This is another cool find. I found this shed about 2 miles as a crow flies from where that skull was found. I found it the same year as the skull and it looked to be from the previous year. I don't think it's the same buck, but it could be! There is a definite difference in the bend on the beam, very similar on everything else though, maybe it is a genetic abnormality and not an injury? JIM>

freakant5.jpg

freakant6.jpg

freakant7.jpg

• Like 1

I can't believe your buddy didn't pick that skull up. That is a really unique.

Well I did not find this but it was given to me by a friend. It was found in 35a near Parker Canyon Lake. This is a big deer and it should score around 105 with a 10 inch spread. It has a somewhat corkscrewed g3. The end of the mainbeam is what makes it unique but it is hard to take good pics of. The end of the main beam has a bulge on the end and it has a small droptine on the bulge.

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Hey Christian, that's a good one! I would love to see the matching side to that one! Here's another one I found down south. It looks like the beam was broke off and the G3 was bent down before it had finished growing! You can see the marrow inside the hole like it had been broken. JIM>

freakant10.jpg

freakant9.jpg

freakant8-1.jpg

Alright, here is my favorite "freak" shed in my little collection. I found this one in Unit 9 from a Muley and I have never been able to figure out if it's off the right side or the left! JIM>

freakant11.jpg

freakant12.jpg

freakant13.jpg

Now this one has a true "Whale-Tail". I found it years ago in 4B, just can't get rid of it, too cool! JIM>

freakant14.jpg

freakant15.jpg

here is one I think ive posted before got it from a friend its one of my favorites

Very nice Jim. That first skull is amazing. What a strange thing to see. He did not know if he wanted to be a basket rack or a big buck.

Jim you sure that thing is off a muley and not an elk :blink:

Yeah, that really weird shed is off a Muley!

Here is another, this was found while chasing a big kitty in 6A. I'm pretty sure it was a lion kill, the dogs found four half buried bull elk skeletons in one canyon when chasing the cat. The freshest kill was a nice 5 pt bull and you could still see where the cat had drug the bull downhill and buried it! The cat was eventually caught and killed, but there is a canyon up there full of skulls, you just have to hike in after em'.

freakant17.jpg

freakant20.jpg

freakant19.jpg

freakant18.jpg

• Like 1

post-1778-1171396167_thumb.jpg

Here is the bull my daughter shot this year.

Not as strange as yours Jim, but kind of cool.

Hard to see but the back of the base is undercut about half way.

Hard to say if he is missing the eye guard or G2

Mike

post-1778-1171395762_thumb.jpg