Sign in to follow this  
mountaingoat08

Rifle bipods

Guest wdenike

I simply chuckle when I see talk about " The Best Bipod ". The answer is none of the above. Unless you sit and never move, trim with your hand saw, and weed wack all tall grass that will be in your line of fire in all directions. And than repeat the process each time you find a new " HONEY HOLE " that no one else knows about. :D These will cause you to put way less meat in the freezer when using all methods of hunting. Than a real good set of adjustable shooting sticks. ( Fact ) Unless we are talking 400 and out. In which you will have adequate time to pick a perfect place to shoot from. And even than there are things you can do with a back pack and adjustable sticks that don't take a back seat ever to a fixed bipod. But ever body has their own thoughts, and after all it will be your money being spent. Enjoy!! :D :D

Take care, Willie

I simply chuckle when I see talk about " The Best Bipod ". The answer is none of the above. Unless you sit and never move, trim with your hand saw, and weed wack all tall grass that will be in your line of fire in all directions. And than repeat the process each time you find a new " HONEY HOLE " that no one else knows about. :D These will cause you to put way less meat in the freezer when using all methods of hunting. Than a real good set of adjustable shooting sticks. ( Fact ) Unless we are talking 400 and out. In which you will have adequate time to pick a perfect place to shoot from. And even than there are things you can do with a back pack and adjustable sticks that don't take a back seat ever to a fixed bipod. But ever body has their own thoughts, and after all it will be your money being spent. Enjoy!! :D :D

Not everybody hunts on horses. Ive killed 20+ whitetail in my life and they all have been in the prone position. To each his own.

Take care, Willie

Thanks for your post Willie. I was going to buy a bipod, but now I'm glad I bought shooting sticks on sale last month. I will stick with that.

Different situations call for different rests. I have a couple of Harris (as seen on the front of the rifle in the stowed position), but one of the best setups I have personally seen used is this one. It can get you up over tall grass/bushes that a normal bipod cannot, and makes for a literally rock solid rest. This one is quick to set up too as log as you do some pre-shot fitting. It can be deployed in about 3 seconds if you are stalking in on known game. You can use just the front tri-pod, just the bi-pod (in front), or both in this combination. My daughter took her javelina off this setup and we deployed it in 3 seconds when the pigs showed. Front is a Primos, rear is a Bog-pod. And the Primos tripod can be used with binos by simply unscrewing the rifle rest and screwing on a tripod head of your choice.

IMG_20140222_145404_608_zps98f37eb6.jpg

If you are going to be camped out glassing near a vehicle, this works great too! But heavy to carry around....surveyors tripod and a Sightvise.

001_zpse949fd74.jpg

Harris 13-23" being utilized (works for sitting and high prone shots. For low prone shots, this bipod is too tall. Good one for keeping on your rifle while still hunting, and can be deployed fairly quickly.

001-2_zps42e02483.jpg

This is in the short position, and you can see it is pretty high for prone shots. It works great for sitting shots though when the legs are extended. Too short for kneeling though.

0122.jpg

I would definitely get a harris well worth the money. I have the harris 25c 12-25 inches and pivots. You can shoot kneeling or sitting against a rock as well. Ive had caldwell and broke within one season. If you're not going to buy a harris I would recommend buying a blackhawk, it is more sturdy than the caldwell bipods. I have 3 harris bipods on all of my hunting rifles.