Sign in to follow this  
SDHNTR

bot fly larvae

So I've only be up close to two dead coues bucks. One I just killed a couple days ago and one a buddy killed years ago on a January hunt. Both bucks had bot fly larvae in their nostrils. One was in 22 and one in 23. Nasty things! Now I've killed and/or been around dozens of mulies and eastern whitetails up close and I've never once seen the larvae on them. Coincidence? Ot is there something to coues bucks that attract them. I know they are harmless but they sure are gross!

2 of 4 coues bucks I've taken had bot fly larvae, but so did 2 mule bucks from the same area. And I can't say I really even looked for them in the first couple deer I processed, my 3rd buck had mature bot flies in his esophagus when I was removing the head and I have found them consistently since. I think it may be geographic and less species specific.

My interest is whether species other than deer get them? I haven't taken any other game in the area to know.

It is believed that the bot fly larva contribute to sinusitis in Bighorn sheep which causes the horn sloughing and sometimes death.

• Like 1

I had a muley one year that had an enormous amount in it's nostrils. The taxidermists said it was by far the most he had seen and didn't even know how the deer was breathing. I put 2 and 2 together and thought about my hunt, and remembered my buck was breathing more than usual out his mouth. He always had his mouth open and I think that was his main way to inhale and exhale. NASTY STUFF for sure!

My interest is whether species other than deer get them? I haven't taken any other game in the area to know.

They (more than one bot fly species) can parasite on all mammals, other than ungulates and bovine, I've seen them first hand in Leporidae. nasty buggers!

My archery coues buck from this past season was infested with them. He had at least 8 large ones comes out his nostrils and I found two dead in the freezer. I haven't seen much of this and I've been along for dozens of coues deer being ground checked in the past few years. I knew what they were and didn't get alarmed but It was pretty disgusting. Probably why I didn't get winded like I ALWAYS DO!! ;)

• Like 1

I've never heard of them. Got any pictures? I'll try and remember to look at my next deer. I'm figuring that there's no cause to worry about the meat?

I have seen them in the skin of bison from New Mexico. Almost like a giant pimple. When we shave off some of the think skin around the neck and fleshing the shoulder areas they are in little pockets. Just threw up in my mouth a little bit. Hahahaha nasty things

Don't know if this is here say or not but I've heard that the bot fly larvae are more common around here because of the longer and warmer days we have compared to other places in the country. And because the bot fly lays eggs in humid and moist areas and we have our monsoons during the time they lay their eggs, the wildlife is just more susceptible to them.