varnco

Unit 33 - First hunt

Hello,

New to the forum, and new to drawing a WT for unit 33.

I've been going through tons of great posts here, and learning a lot about hunting out west (easterner here).

I hear unit 33 gets a lot of pressure, and many folks indicating you can get away from the crowds by heading off the roads. I assume this means parking your 4x4/ATV and then hiking out 2+ miles from the nearest dirt road that can take an ATV or 4x4? I'm pretty sure this is what is meant, just looking for a confirmation.

If I'm lucky enough to fill my tag, in general, how fast does one have to get the meat out of the field? I have the October hunt, and I assume the temperature isn't going to be that cold. Back east, it's freezing or slightly above freezing by Oct.

Thanks

Welcome,

I'm a NY'er myself but I have lived here for almost 40 years and hunted 33 a few times including the October hunt. Hiking in from the closest road is what people are referring to.

That hunt, depending on what elevation you hunt "could" see temps in the 30's at night and 90's in the day. But most likely the nigh time temps will be in the upper 40's to 50's.

I have always managed to get the meat out and cooled down (into a cooler) in 4-5 hours with no problems to the meat.

skin & qtr where you drop it, get it in pillow cases, then get it in a cooler full of frozen water bottles when you get back to camp and you will be happy with the meat

• Like 2

Curious why pillow cases and not plastic bags to prevent blood seeping through and all over your backpack? Just trying to learn for when I jump into big game hunting down the line. Thanks!

• Like 1

pillow cases allow air to flow through...plastic bags trap heat and no air flow=spoiled meat

• Like 1

Curious why pillow cases and not plastic bags to prevent blood seeping through and all over your backpack? Just trying to learn for when I jump into big game hunting down the line. Thanks!

blood stains on your pack are a good thing
  • Like 2

it'll wash out, and there isn't as much as you would imagine, when you slip a qtr in a pillow case hang it in a tree in the shade so it picks up a breeze, take it down for the next piece. You can fit a coues into 2 pillow cases, I carry an extra just in case

• Like 1

I had to leave a gutted deer hung in a tree over night on an Oct hunt in 33 a couple of years ago. meat was fine.

Thanks for all the replies.. all very helpful.

To be clear, the "roads" are the ones taht require 4x4/ATV? Not the entry road to Peppersauce canyon for example, that a car could traverse or a little bumpy that a "SUV" could handle, but the road that leads out of Peppersauce and back towards Oracle Ridge that requires a UTV/ATV/or a good 4x4?

I would drive back pretty far until you pass the ranch on the right not sure what the name is to be quite honest and spend time glassing hills and the fingers. My dads buddy has that hunt and we've been back there a lot due to my dad living right off catalina why. the further back you go will be less crowded with jeeps and rock crawlers.

Tj

I would drive back pretty far until you pass the ranch on the right not sure what the name is to be quite honest and spend time glassing hills and the fingers. My dads buddy has that hunt and we've been back there a lot due to my dad living right off catalina why. the further back you go will be less crowded with jeeps and rock crawlers.

Tj

Thanks for the general information. There are many entrances to Unit 33, so not sure what ranch you may be talking about... is it coming in off old Mt Lemmon Road from Oracle? There were a bunch of ranches there, but we turned off to check out Oracle Ridge and PepperSauce Canyon.

I was out in Unit 33 this past weekend, and checked out PepperSauce Canyon area, and focused on the Oracle Ridge area. We took the 4wd all the way along the end of Oracle Ridge till the road ended, up towards Rice Peak. Didn't see much opportunity there, unless we jumped the fence and hiked down Oracle Ridge (west) for a mile or two. Didn't get a chance to check out the area south and east of Peppersauce, but near PepperSauce camp seemed to be some areas which I'm sure will have a hunter every 5 feet come opening day.

I also checked out the 4x4 road that takes you in toward Charloueou Gap (coming in from the east side).. dang that's one heck of a 4x4 route! We never made it to the gap, but got in about 2.5 miles and didn't see any deer, but found 2 bow hunters. I don't think I got back in enough, nor high enough in elevation for WT.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies on the pillow thing. I knew it had to do with breatheability.