DCMHunter

Ground Blinds for elk

My experience on elk and lots of coues deer hunting:

The better you blend it it to the surrounding the less reaction I have seen. Be careful of how the sun hits the blind.

The biggest problem I have seen in hours of watching elk from a distance after placing the blind is that when the windows or shooting holes are opened, you just created a big black spot in their world, the more they react to the blind. I have used the mesh, never shot through it, and they did not react at all. I have made the opening smaller and they react very little.

Step back and look at your blind from the distance where the elk will first see it. Does something stand out big time to you, fix it.

Another thing I have noticed with pop up and brushed in blinds; Even the best ones get noticed it you just got done cutting the branches and releasing all the sap and tree scent. It is not natural for massive amounts of tree scent to be in the animals nostrils, they will shy away. If you decide to cut stuff, know the prevailing wind and the way the elk come in. If you put up a pop up, make sure it is downwind of the elk travel routes and spray it down with scent eliminator. I have had elk walk right up to the blind.

"Mature bulls don't get mature by not knowing their surroundings."

Steve

• Like 5

Last bull I killed, I killed on water with a blind. Set it up at 530pm didn't brush it in and killed a bull at 630pm. He had three cows with him and they didn't even look my way. I've had a herd come in and lay down, with one cow laying in the shade of the blind with her side pushing in the side of the blind. She didn't move f i r an hour and a half.

Brian

• Like 4

Another thing that plays into blind success is when it is hot and there is little water nearby. Elk will let down their guard when really thirsty. While hauling water we see elk come running in when they smell the water. They will hold up, usually at the fence line on catchments. Sometimes within 50 yards from us and the truck filling the tank. Even had bears come like that.

• Like 3

Thanks for the advise I will try to make it to the mountain this weekend for the start on the 12th. I have been hearing very little bugling an it has bean real worm. We will see what this storm does in the next few days but I think there will be a slow start with a strong finish to the early season this year.

DCM

When I took the picture in my avatar, I was sitting 25 yards or less from this elk, sitting in the open, wearing shorts and a dark T-shirt (no camo of any kind). I had to move at the right time, to take the pic!

If you don't move, they don't see you. I did the same for an antelope once. A blind is just to hide your movements. I usually can't sit still !!!

post-11081-0-00260700-1410101834_thumb.jpg

Set mine up at noon shot my bull that evening.....

post-647-0-39555200-1410115229.jpg

This group came in after I shot my bull, they looked my way because I was talking on my phone.

post-647-0-01644900-1410115248_thumb.jpg