Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Hunting with less than traditional rifles/firearms

I've been thinking for sometime about trying something new or different as far as type of rifle I use to hunt. I recently got a M1A and am seriously thinking of using it, open sights, for my deer hunt this year or next. Any of you ever try something other then bolt action, scoped rifles for hunting ie a m1garand, lever action in something other than 30-30, pistol caliber carbine?? Interested to see the replies. Thanks

• Like 1

I hunt with my AR for Javelina and varmints. My daughter took a big pig shooting a 69SMK this past February. I think it would work just fine on Coues out to 400 yds. or so.

022_zps2af843ef.jpg

• Like 4

Depending on the terrain, I'd hunt with a .30-30 anyday. Love lever rifles with open sites.

I've taken two javelina with an AR in 5.56. I am currently putting together a 6.5 Grendel AR to use on mule and coues. It's going to be awesome.

Took my bear in 2012 with a Winchester 1894, manufactured 1906, in 38-55. Tang sight.

Thats awesome! ARs arent as common as bolts but are used alot now adays esecially for varmint calling. I almost never hear of someone using lever actions anymore and even more so with an older caliber and models as yours. My grandfather shot his last deer with an older Vietnam triangle stock AR-15 back in the late 80s open sights. Took 3 good shots to put the buck down at about 150+ yards. I just remember him being very unhappy saying the gun(caliber) wasnt up to task for hunting deer sized animals.

I have a t/c pro hunter with a 15 in pistol barrel in 243 win. I haven't hunted with it yet but I have every intention to.

I have both an M1 Garand and a Springfield 1903 (from 1918) that I have every intention of hunting with when I get a chance. I know if I ever make it back to Texas for a pig/deer hunt, they will be the only rifles I take with me.

I've been hunting with "non-traditional" firearms for the last 14 years. I use single shot bolt action handguns. Also known as handcannons or specialty pistols. These are the most accurate weapons I have owned or shot, the trick is to learn how to use what is around you for a steady rest cause these guns cannot be shot off hand and hold the accuracy needed for a humane shot. Being a single shot you have to pick the moment and set up for the kill. Successful, an Oryx, several antelope and numerous deer back east felt the sting. Calibers range from 22 thru 325wsm a few coyotes have fell as well. Check out my avatar that one is a 7rsaum used it for muleys a couple of years ago.

Nmhunter

Top rifle is an M88 in .243 I inherited from my mom, it's killed a lot of deer, antelope and pigs.

Middle rifle is a Navy Arms in .357, with an 18" barrel, killed 2 pigs with it. It's also the go to gun when livestock needs put down. It's a nice light rifle you hardly notice in a saddle scabbard or shouldered on a hike. Packs a punch, though. Dad picked it up at a garage sale in the '60's for 75$.

Bottom is an old Gamemaster in 30-06 we refer to as the meat pole. 10 round mag gives it a BAR look.

I've also killed a Mule deer with an 1874 Win .32-40 blackpowder saddle carbine and offed a Columbian Blacktail with a Winchester 1917, both with iron sights.

post-11051-0-56619700-1410220105_thumb.jpg

I usually hunt javelinas with a pistol or bow, but a friend and a friends son want me to mentor them on a rifle javi hunt. I picked up a Winchester model 1907 .351SL and plan on using it, or my Ruger .44 mag Deerfield carbine. Looking forward to the hunt next spring.