Sign in to follow this  
mp_moody

Anybody hunt with 6.5 Grendel?

I'm in the process of putting together an AR15 upper that is chambered in 6.5 Grendel. The plan is to use it on mule deer and coues instead of lugging around my .308 bolt gun.

So far I have a stainless 18" barrel and a headspaced bolt, slickside flattop upper, and a chromed bolt carrier. Not sure if I want to add an adjustable gas block because I'll be shooting suppressed most of the time. Will add some flavor of Vortex scope in non QD rings once it's all done. No idea about the handguards, probably something lightweight.

The entire upper will be slapped onto my lower with Geiselle trigger. Should a pretty sweet shooting rig.

Why an AR in a boutique caliber over a bolt gun? I know a lot of you guys are traditionalists, but I shoot ARs much better. I can practice on the cheap with 5.56. No 15lb .900 Mag rifle that dislocates shoulders and rattles teeth.

Planning on buying a bunch of Hornady 123gr SST rounds and then reloading for it at a later date.

Any tips, advice, words of discouragement, etc?

Hoping to get the upper put together around Christmas when I come home on leave. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be taking any deer with it until I'm done with this hitch in Germany for a few more years. :(

I built a 6.5 Grendel earlier this year. I absolutly love it. I have only shot coyotes with it so far. I think I still prefer my 300 RUM bolt gun for coues hunting but I know the 6.5 would have no problem! Good luck with your build.

post-8765-0-09075700-1410193289_thumb.jpg

I have a 6.5 grendel :). Its a 18" mid length Black Hole Weaponry 264 LBC, MEGA slick side-charging upper with Young bolt carrier. I shook 120 gr Bergers or 100 to 120 gr Barns through it using 8202 XBR. You will nee the adjustable gas block and with have to play with the buffer weight. I set mine up with an A2 but-stock and hand no issues - then I put it on a carbine lower and when through alot of trouble shooting changing the gas block and finally the buffer. A light buffer will cause the bolt to mover back too quick and cause failures to extract.

My son have used the grendel an a mule deer. 120 gr barns - it took tow rounds to seal the deal. most of it was bullet placement.

PM me and we can talk