Sign in to follow this  
Browning'sCustomMeat

Spring Hunts

Was thinking today....oh boy! lol

Maybe someone knows and can tell me real quick. Hunt licenses are good for 365 days, rather than a calendar year.

So when putting in for spring hunts we would use the license we have now and purchase new one when current one expired, evidently. But would we have to keep old license on hand while hunting if lucky enough to be drawn because old license number would be on tag and not the current one?

-Jeremy-

• Like 1

Correct! It will expire right before your elk season begins. You will need to purchase another license for your elk hunt. The license purchased will run one year from date of purchase.

I bought my 2014 license on Dec 31st last year. So it is valid until Dec 31. Can I use this license to put in for the 2015 spring hunts? In the past you had to purchase a license that was valid for next year to apply for the spring hunts. Obviously I will have to have one to hunt next year, but want to wait until end of year to purchase new one.

Sounds like a big cluster fk to me. Sounds like in the end you'll be purchasing more licenses if you want to apply for spring hunts. Their old system was easier in the past. What's next, archery deer tags that are good for 365 days?

JLW hopefully will chime in cause we had this discussion last week. From what I understood you can use your license to apply for the hunt but if you get drawn and your license is expired you have to go buy a new one. He spoke with game and fish.

• Like 2

Yes you can use your license that expires on dec 31 2014 for the spring draw in 2015. As long as your current license is valid on the deadline day you're good to go. and as always you need a current license when your hunting so if you get drawn for spring 15 you'll need to buy a valid one to hunt. Its pretty simple, especially for those of us that apply and hunt for everything as we'll always have a current license.

As for if you need the old one in possession that's a great question.

The 365 day thing is great, especially for those that just fish, or decide they want to fish in July, they aren't wasting a half year on something they cant get back

• Like 3

Yes you can use your license that expires on dec 31 2014 for the spring draw in 2015. As long as your current license is valid on the deadline day you're good to go. and as always you need a current license when your hunting so if you get drawn for spring 15 you'll need to buy a valid one to hunt. Its pretty simple, especially for those of us that apply and hunt for everything as we'll always have a current license.

As for if you need the old one in possession that's a great question.

The 365 day thing is great, especially for those that just fish, or decide they want to fish in July, they aren't wasting a half year on something they cant get back

Absolutely correct and no, you do not need your old one in possession. You only need your current valid hunting license in possession. As I understand it, it was done (in part), to help alleviate the need to go buy the next year's license to put in for the spring hunts. I can't remember if it went into effect with the January 1 license structure change or if it was before that. I'm pretty sure it went in to effect last January 1. I do remember AGFD telling me that my 2013 license was good for the 2014 spring draw, but I ended up buying my 2014 license early anyway since I had to get my daughter a license to put her in for the spring hunt (10th birthday a week too late for the OTC turkey hunt).

Good to know,that's new to me....yes long shooter,bass ackwards to me too! What a useless change

actually not useless... it keeps you from having to shell out for the draw for a license you won't need for 4 - 6 months.

1 license will put you in for all the draws!

James

When did this garbage take place? My license still just says license year 2014 on it,just like always

If you got your license as part of the spring draw, then it would be good from Jan 1 to Dec 31. Your 365 days just happens to also match up with the calendar year.

You need only have a license that is valid on the day of the draw deadline. So, for instance my father in law has a license that doesn't expire until late February. We can use that license to apply for the elk draw. If he doesn't draw, then he doesn't have to buy another license unless he wants to put in for the fall draw or hunt something else. If he does draw an elk tag, then all he has to do is buy a new license at some point before the hunt so that he has a valid license in his possession. It would make the most sense to wait until just before the hunt to do that so you get the most life out of it.

For people who only put in for the elk draw or the fall draw, you have the potential to be able to get two draw cycles out of one license in some years. For example, the 2015 elk draw deadline will be February 10th. If you buy a license on that day and enter the draw, then it will be good through February 9, 2016. It just so happens that the draw deadline in 2016 will be February 9th. For those folks who wouldn't buy a new license unless they were drawn, it can work out nicely for them.