Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Supai Grand Canyon Hike

Anybody have any experience hiking down into Supai? Thinking about trying to do that in the middle of October. I read quite a few reviews on the internet yesterday but was wondering if anybody on this site had given it a try.

Looking for tips and pointers.

Thanks,

Jeff

i have hiked it. we went in March. i reccommend everyone to experience the supai. make sure you go below mooney falls. the hike to bever falls is the best part of the whole trip. TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!!!

I did the hike in May of 2006. I was there when they found the Japanese woman who had been robbed, raped, and murdered in the Canyon. Not Cool!

Besides that, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I highly recommend anyone who is able to do this hike. I agree with everything above! We went during the middle of May and it got a bit warm in the day but the water was nice and refreshing but not too cold that you wouldn't want to go in.

I would highly recommend getting up as early as possible to start your hike, maybe even starting with a headlamp in the dark before it gets hot. The sun gets brutal. I would also plan on spending at least two non-hiking days to check things out, so at least 4 days total maybe more if you want to go down to the Colorado. Do not overpack! Food is available down in the Supai village if you really get that hungry. I brought WAY too much on my trip. Try to plan things out with your companions so you don't double pack things like cooking gear, etc. Be prepared for the downhill! My legs were not used to going downhill with that much weight on my back. That hurt my hips bad! Prepare with a weighted pack before you go, you will thank me!

And yes by all means take a ton of photos! This is considered by many to be one of, if not the most beautiful place in Arizona. Kinda lost its luster when you could start taking a chopper down and stay in the lodge, but I'm kinda old school.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

4 trips, all on foot.

Top 3 places in all of Arizona. Start early mid oct will be warm more than likely through the canyon.

If you are Gonzo head toward beaver falls after Mooney falls and if you are double Gonzo continue on to the Colorado River.

There are steam crossings to do this but totally worth it. I think you can hire a local guide if you decide to push on.

You won't be disappointed with this hike. Take a small waterproof camera. Watch your footing and hand holds going down Mooney Falls.

I can hear R.Carlos Nakai Native American flute echoing through the canyon...

" Do not overpack!". This made me LOL cuz when I was 16 , the first time I did Supai we brought WAY too much stuff. I'm sure there is some duct tape ( whole roll) stuffed behind some rocks hidden in the canyon.

Az

post-898-0-80405900-1410803140_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

We went in July and it was too hot, you have to live in the water to keep cool and the nights were warm. We woke up at 3:00 am to hike out and get to the switchbacks before it was too hot. Beautiful place you should go at least once in your lifetime.

post-4217-0-25234300-1410837096_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-62685900-1410837114_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-25446300-1410837145_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-79977900-1410837154_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've done the hike 3 times - once in the 70's before the big flood, once in the 90s after the first big flood, then once more a few years ago. Amazing every time I go. But, then again, I find every part of the Grand Canyon special.

The hike in and out is really not bad at all. The first 1.5 to 2 miles are switch backs, after that it is level hiking. The heat will take it's toll way before the difficulty of the hike. But, October will be perfect. I guess it depends where you live - I can tolerate hot weather living in Phoenix. Two times, I slept in my truck at the trail head. This allowed for an early start. I'm not sure if that is still allowed. I think 3 days is good. An early start down will give you half a day at camp on day 1. Day 2 hike down to Mooney Falls and then to Beaver falls. Day 3 get up early, but not at the crack of dawn. Go for another swim and hike out. In October you can hike out mid day and be fine (if the heat doesn't bother you). I always bring my own food. I guess I'm cheap. Based on how much permits have increased over the years, I suppose food and drink at the village has also increased quite a bit.

There is a spring down by the campsite that has drinking water. I usually treat this water, just in case. I'm not sure if you have to? I use iodine tablets (old school). Just bring a few quarts for the hike in. Like any backpacking trip, bring some salted Gorp to snack on and stay hydrated. Shorts, a swim suite, a hat, a few change of socks, one or two t-shirts, and a light jacket are all you need. Small tent and light bag and pad. Lots of good camping spots toward the back end of the campground. Display your permit on your pack, they will check. If you bring wine or whiskey, make sure it is hidden...again, they will check.

Have a great time....there are a few rope swings that are must!

Three times myself with the last one being the storm that wiped out the terraces below Supai in the 90's. We went during the monsoon that trip and had to wait in the parking lot until the rain stopped. I highly recommend not going during the monsoon season as the canyons you will hike through are flash flood areas. It is an awesome trip and one every Arizonan should do at least once. Back then, you had to wait almost a year to get the permits as there was a waiting list, or the tribe only gave out so many each year.

You can get a mule to pack you down or back, as well as a helo ride in and out if I remember right. Last trip we ended up going all the way to the camp ground just below the Supai falls, just to turn around and head back due to the flood water. We had to camp on the deck of the café/ post office for the night.

Also pack down a couple of gallon water jugs and stash them just below the switchbacks so you can fill up before returning up to the parking lot. Those switchbacks are killer when its hot!

You guys are getting me fired up! I'll be doing this trip shortly. Staying for 2 days.I tried to ride my mule but they don't allow private stock at Havasupai.i will post some pics.

I hiked it with the wife in the 90's a year or two after the flood. We went up in the afternoon and slept in the parking lot that night. We hiked in the next morning and stayed until the next afternoon and hiked out at about 4:30 and slept at the mouth of the canyon then got up at first light and hiked up to the parking lot getting there by about 7AM then drove into Seligman for breakfast.

The water that comes out of the spring is drinkable but tasted very chalky. The bathrooms were all makeshift and each one was in poor shape. The locals were not friendly in the least but we had no issues and went with a group of friends who had done this hike before. I probably have some old photo's (pre digital) somewhere. The hike was a piece of cake for me and although my wife had been hiking and working up to it she was sore for a few days after it. We did it over the 4th of July and the temps were ok. A bit hot in the afternoon when we hiked out but the canyon you will hike into is narrow and the walls are maybe 150' tall so you are in the shade most of the time.

We enjoyed it but there are people everywhere.

Let me clarify as it seems one poster misinterpreted what I meant to get across. By all means, bring food, but don't pack like it's your only means of survival for a month...point is, don't over do it, that's all.

Great information I knew I would be able to get some good stuff from this site, you guys are always willing to share your experiences. Now I have to admit....this was a last minute idea that just blew up on me.....no reservations are available for the weekend we had open....so it looks like wait til next year and make plans alot earlier. Dang and I had gotten pretty pumped about going down there in a month.

Thanks again.....

its a lot of fun. The Supai people become friends for life and I have not been down there in 15 years or so and I am still in contact with them.