Sign in to follow this  
outlaw357derf

Rain for the next 3 days

Great comments on the rain. I'm camped on Interstate 229 off FS 3 at the end of the maintained section of road. The rain has finally slowed the traffic past camp to a crawl. Labor Day and Opening weekend we had to put out the "We have slow children, so please slow down" sign. We saw plenty of elk prior to Labor Day, but now they have vanished. Have heard only one bugle since the opener. Am walking 5 miles a day and the rain is good because every where is muddy, and now almost no fresh sign of elk. Where did they go? Higher in the pines? Lower beyond Horse Knoll? Even the Forest Fire Prevention guy who drives the forest is not seeing elk. One week to go, am hoping for a lucky miracle. Backwoods, what you seeing/hearing?

if you are in 6a - below stoneman road the elk will get pushed off the flat lands into the canyons edges -

you might try higher in the pines hunt off fs rd 239- 4-5 miles in

but with all the rains road conditions may limit where and how far you can go.

Thank you. 6A has the "weak" rut rep. Just have to keep huntin. Nice 6x5 got waked by a vehicle on the Lake Mary Rd. Beautiful animal laying in the meadow rotting without a head. It was removed by AZ G&F.

Don't forget they go lay in the tall grass in Mormon lake. Walk out there and you just may kick something up. See it a lot up there. I have a tag in 10 for early rifle and sure hope they get more rain up there cause it was dry last week when I was there.